Plumb Bob: Is My Understanding Wrong?

• Thread starter bilcoy
  • Start date
In summary, during the first survey of India, an error in measurement occurred due to the deflection of a plumb bob by the massive Himalayas. This is due to the fact that the local direction of gravity, and therefore the local vertical, can be significantly deviated from being perpendicular to the reference ellipsoid in the region of the Himalayas. This deviation can affect the accuracy of surveying data, which is based on the assumption of a perfect reference ellipsoid.
bilcoy
I was reading in my geology book (Earth: An Introduction To Physical Geography, 7th ed. by Tarbuck and Lutgens, 2002, p.560) that "during the first survey of India, an error in measurement occurred because the plumb bob on an instrument was deflected by the massive Himalayas." There is more detail on this, but this statement on deflection is allowed to stand.
Am I crazy, because this just seems wrong to me? I understand that a plumb bob always points to the Earth's or any body's center of gravity, no matter the shape or lack of uniformity in density of the body or where the plumb bob is situated. I do understand the "outside" influences, like the changing position of the moon, could compromise the pb's results, but not features of the body itself, which are part of the net mass.
Am I wrong about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand that a plumb bob always points to the Earth's or any body's center of gravity, no matter the shape or lack of uniformity in density of the body or where the plumb bob is situated.

Not really.

The plumb bob is affected by both the attraction of local masses and the rotation of the earth. The latter effect is embodied in Focaults Pendulum experiment.

Welcome to PF, are you studying Physics or Geology?

Well, the influence of rotation is not the issue. As I said, it's the MOUNTAIN! Can the mountain be part of the net effect and also have special local influence?

bilcoy said:
I was reading in my geology book (Earth: An Introduction To Physical Geography, 7th ed. by Tarbuck and Lutgens, 2002, p.560) that "during the first survey of India, an error in measurement occurred because the plumb bob on an instrument was deflected by the massive Himalayas." There is more detail on this, but this statement on deflection is allowed to stand.
Am I crazy, because this just seems wrong to me? I understand that a plumb bob always points to the Earth's or any body's center of gravity, no matter the shape or lack of uniformity in density of the body or where the plumb bob is situated. I do understand the "outside" influences, like the changing position of the moon, could compromise the pb's results, but not features of the body itself, which are part of the net mass.
Am I wrong about this?

I'm assuming for now that among the data collected by the surveyors was altitude data.

I'm assuming for now that the surveyors work out altitude data as follows: they start in a coastal area, referencing local altitude to sea level. Then they work in inland direction, working out everywhere (from the measurments) whether the next data point is at a higher altitude than the previous one, or lower, or equal. So at every data point they need to establish the local vertical, and then you measure the angle between that local vertical and the line to the next data point.

That procedure is perfectly reliable on a planet that is a perfect reference ellipsoid (with perfectly uniform density). On such a perfect planet the direction of the local vertical is perfectly predictable: perpendicular to the reference ellipsoid. That allows you to process surveying data: It will allow you to figure out which parts of the inland are above or below sea level.

I gather from your question that in the neighbourhood of the Himalaya the local direction of gravity (hence the local vertical) is significantly deviated from being perpendicular to the reference ellipsoid.

"That procedure is perfectly reliable on a planet that is a perfect reference ellipsoid (with perfectly uniform density). On such a perfect planet the direction of the local vertical is perfectly predictable: perpendicular to the reference ellipsoid. That allows you to process surveying data: It will allow you to figure out which parts of the inland are above or below sea level.

I gather from your question that in the neighbourhood of the Himalaya the local direction of gravity (hence the local vertical) is significantly deviated from being perpendicular to the reference ellipsoid."

Thanks. I appreciate your explanation which I think fits with what the authors of the textbook were saying, but to me it is counter intuitive to think that there could be such thing as a "local" deviation from vertical at all, when the the mountains are part of the net-mass center of gravity to begin with. I was hoping that some principle (I can't do the math) would explain that the center of gravity, as a point in space, alone controls the plumb bob.

bilcoy said:
to me it is counter intuitive to think that there could be such thing as a "local" deviation from vertical at all, when the the mountains are part of the net-mass center of gravity to begin with.

I wonder...

You see, if you would be considering the gravitational force from the Earth exerted on the Moon, keeping the Moon in its Earth orbit, then the exact position of the Himalaya with respect to the Moon is a negligable factor; the gravitational force exerted on the Moon points to the Earth's center of mass; for the Moon the Himalaya are just a contribution to the overall Earth mass.

I wonder, maybe you are extending that notion to Earth based measurements (which is unjustified), making you believe that wherever you are on the surface of the Earth, gravity ought to act towards the Earth's center of mass.

Hello Cleonis,

With regard to your comments about the local vertical to the Geoid.
The equipment used in the Great Survey (of India) used spirit levels to establish local horizontal in much the same way as modern theodolites.
Similarly the local vertical was then mechanically established within the instrument as a function of its operation.
Plumb bobs were used to locate the instrument above a reference point - they did not have the modern optical plummets used today.

So the error would have been in plan position, not vertical alignment.

Last edited:
bilcoy said:
Am I crazy, because this just seems wrong to me? I understand that a plumb bob always points to the Earth's or any body's center of gravity, no matter the shape or lack of uniformity in density of the body or where the plumb bob is situated.
That's not true. You are thinking that the plumb bob will always point towards the center of mass of the entire Earth including the mountain, but no. Ignoring the Earth's rotation, the plumb bob always aligns with the local gravitational field. If you are close to the mountain, then the local gravitational field will be deflected towards the mountain.

Doc Al said:
That's not true. You are thinking that the plumb bob will always point towards the center of mass of the entire Earth including the mountain, but no.

Yes, OK. I see that my assumption was wrong. It just occurred to me that a dumbbell shaped mass would have a net center of gravity, but a plumb bob constructed on either end would point the center of nearest "bell".
Thanks to all that responded.

It would still have been more useful to know what your point of interest is. Replies might have been more forthcoming.

Are you aware there is also an Earth Sciences section here?

1. What is a plumb bob and how does it work?

A plumb bob is a tool used to determine verticality or to find the true vertical line. It consists of a weight attached to a string or cord, which is suspended from a fixed point. The weight and gravity work together to create a straight, vertical line that can be used for various purposes such as construction, surveying, and plumbing.

2. What are the different types of plumb bobs?

There are several types of plumb bobs, including traditional plumb bobs with pointed tips, laser plumb bobs that emit a laser beam to create a vertical line, and digital plumb bobs that use sensors and a digital display to indicate verticality. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications.

3. How accurate is a plumb bob?

The accuracy of a plumb bob depends on several factors, such as the weight of the plumb bob, the length of the string, and the precision of the fixed point it is suspended from. In general, a plumb bob is considered to be accurate within a few millimeters per meter. However, factors such as wind or uneven surfaces can affect its accuracy.

4. Can a plumb bob be used outdoors?

Yes, a plumb bob can be used outdoors as long as there is a fixed point to suspend it from and the weather conditions are suitable. If there is wind or other environmental factors that may affect its accuracy, it is recommended to use a heavier plumb bob or to use a tripod or other stabilizing device.

5. What are the common mistakes when using a plumb bob?

One of the common mistakes when using a plumb bob is not ensuring that the fixed point is stable and secure. Another mistake is not using a weight that is heavy enough, which can result in a less accurate vertical line. Additionally, not taking into account external factors such as wind or uneven surfaces can also lead to errors in the plumb bob's accuracy.