Work done by a force changing the distance of a satellite's orbit

In summary, the problem involves a satellite in a circular Earth orbit with a mass of 5530 kg and a radius of 1.81 × 10^7 m. The question asks for the work that must be done by a net external force to change the satellite's orbit to a circular orbit with a radius of 8.01 × 10^6 m. Using the orbital speed equation and the work-kinetic energy theorem, the work is calculated to be 7.68002e10J. However, this calculation is incorrect as it only takes into account changes in kinetic energy and does not consider other forms of energy present.
kmb11132

Homework Statement

A 5530-kg satellite is in a circular Earth orbit that has a radius of 1.81 × 10^7 m. A net external force must act on the satellite to make it change to a circular orbit that has a radius of 8.01 × 10^6 m. What work must the net external force do?

Homework Equations

Orbital Speed:
v = sqrt( G * M_e / r )
where G is the gravitational constant and M_e is Earth's mass

Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem:
W = K_f - K_i = .5*m*v_f^2 - .5*m*v_i^2

The Attempt at a Solution

v_i = sqrt( 6.674e-11 * 5.98e24kg / 1.81e7m )
v_i = 4695.74m/s

v_f = sqrt( 6.674e-11 * 5.98e24kg / 8.01e6m )
v_f = 7058.74m/s

W = .5*m*v_f^2 - .5*m*v_i^2
W = .5*5530kg*7058.74m/s^2 - .5*5530kg*4695.74m/s^2
W = 7.68002e10J

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Work = change in energy.

Simon Bridge said:
Work = change in energy.

I incorrectly found the work to be the difference between the initial and final kinetic energies above.

Are there other forms of energy present?

I would like to point out that the work done by the net external force in changing the satellite's orbit is equivalent to the change in kinetic energy of the satellite. This is because work is defined as the product of force and displacement, and in this case, the force is acting over a distance to change the satellite's orbit. This work is necessary to overcome the gravitational force between the satellite and Earth and change its velocity, resulting in a new circular orbit with a smaller radius. The calculated work of 7.68002e10J is a significant amount and highlights the amount of energy required to change the satellite's orbit. It is also important to note that the work done is directly dependent on the mass of the satellite, as seen in the equation W = .5*m*v_f^2 - .5*m*v_i^2. Therefore, a larger satellite would require more work to change its orbit than a smaller one.

What is work done by a force changing the distance of a satellite's orbit?

Work done by a force changing the distance of a satellite's orbit refers to the amount of energy transferred to the satellite by the force as it changes the satellite's orbit.

What factors affect the work done by a force in changing a satellite's orbit?

The work done by a force in changing a satellite's orbit is affected by the magnitude of the force, the distance over which the force acts, and the angle between the force and the direction of motion of the satellite.

How is work calculated for a force changing a satellite's orbit?

The work done by a force changing a satellite's orbit can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance over which it acts, and then multiplying by the cosine of the angle between the force and the direction of motion of the satellite.

Why is work done by a force changing the distance of a satellite's orbit important?

The work done by a force changing the distance of a satellite's orbit is important because it is a measure of the energy transferred to the satellite, which can affect its speed, direction, and overall behavior in orbit.

Can the work done by a force changing the distance of a satellite's orbit be both positive and negative?

Yes, the work done by a force changing the distance of a satellite's orbit can be both positive and negative. A positive work indicates that the force is doing work on the satellite, while a negative work indicates that the satellite is doing work on the force.