Relationship integration math problem

In summary, the conversation was about solving the equation ##\left( y'\right)^2 = y^2 - 1 ## by using a trigonometric substitution and another trick. The solution involves using the substitution y = \cosh x and the relationship \cosh^2 u - \sinh^2 u = 1. Alternatively, solving y = \cosh x for x results in x = \mathrm{arccosh}(y) = \ln\left(y + \sqrt{y^2 - 1}\right).
MisterX
This is about attempting to solve ##\left( y'\right)^2 = y^2 - 1 ##.

[tex]\int\frac{dy}{\sqrt{y^2 -1}} = \pm \int dx[/tex]

using a trig. substitution and another trick,

[tex]\int\frac{dy}{\sqrt{y^2 -1}} = \ln\left(y \pm \sqrt{y^2 - 1} \right) + C[/tex]

I'm not sure about that [itex]\pm[/itex] sign. It came in when doing [itex]\tan (\sec^{-1} y)[/itex] since I had [tex]\sec \theta = y \longrightarrow\tan^2 \theta = y^2 -1\longrightarrow \tan \theta = \pm \sqrt{y^2 -1}[/tex]
The solution is supposed to be something like [itex]y = \cosh x[/itex]. But I am not sure how I'm supposed to be getting that from separating and integrating.

[itex]\ln\left(y + \sqrt{y^2 - 1} \right) = \pm x + C [/itex]
[itex]y + \sqrt{y^2 - 1} = C_1e^{\pm x} [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Misterx

Please see the attached picture. Not sure if I am correct. I suggest waiting for someone to verify things :smile:

Attachments

• 1404898369775.jpg
    1404898369775.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 380
MisterX said:
This is about attempting to solve ##\left( y'\right)^2 = y^2 - 1 ##.

[tex]\int\frac{dy}{\sqrt{y^2 -1}} = \pm \int dx[/tex]

using a trig. substitution and another trick,

[tex]\int\frac{dy}{\sqrt{y^2 -1}} = \ln\left(y \pm \sqrt{y^2 - 1} \right) + C[/tex]

I'm not sure about that [itex]\pm[/itex] sign. It came in when doing [itex]\tan (\sec^{-1} y)[/itex] since I had [tex]\sec \theta = y \longrightarrow\tan^2 \theta = y^2 -1\longrightarrow \tan \theta = \pm \sqrt{y^2 -1}[/tex]
The solution is supposed to be something like [itex]y = \cosh x[/itex]. But I am not sure how I'm supposed to be getting that from separating and integrating.

[itex]\ln\left(y + \sqrt{y^2 - 1} \right) = \pm x + C [/itex]
[itex]y + \sqrt{y^2 - 1} = C_1e^{\pm x} [/itex]

You can do [tex]
\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{y^2 - 1}}\,dy
[/tex] by substituting [itex]y = \cosh u[/itex] so that [itex]dy = \sinh u\,du[/itex] and using the relationship [tex]\cosh^2 u - \sinh^2 u = 1.[/tex]
Alternatively, if you solve [tex]
y = \cosh x = \frac{e^{x} + e^{-x}}{2}
[/tex] for [itex]x = \mathrm{arccosh}(y) \geq 0[/itex] you will find that [tex]\mathrm{arccosh}(y) = \ln\left(y + \sqrt{y^2 - 1}\right).[/tex]

Note that substituting [itex]y = \cosh u[/itex] gets you to the result with considerably less effort than substituting [itex]y = \sec \theta[/itex].

Likes 1 person

FAQ: Relationship integration math problem

1. What is a relationship integration math problem?

A relationship integration math problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves solving for the unknown relationship between two or more variables. This type of problem often requires the use of algebraic equations and formulas to find the solution.

2. How do you solve a relationship integration math problem?

To solve a relationship integration math problem, you first need to identify the variables involved and determine the relationship between them. Then, you can use algebraic equations and formulas to manipulate the given information and solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are some common types of relationship integration math problems?

Some common types of relationship integration math problems include rate problems, distance problems, and mixture problems. These types of problems involve finding the relationship between different quantities, such as speed, time, distance, or concentrations.

4. What are some tips for solving relationship integration math problems?

Some tips for solving relationship integration math problems include carefully reading and understanding the problem, identifying the variables and their relationships, setting up equations or formulas to represent the problem, and checking your answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Why are relationship integration math problems important?

Relationship integration math problems are important because they help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They also have real-world applications in fields such as science, engineering, finance, and economics, where understanding and manipulating relationships between variables is crucial.

Back