Applying Newton's 3rd Law after an object breaks

• Thread starter Jeff_F_F
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, in a martial arts breaking demo, the amount of pain felt correlates with the amount of force applied, up to the point of breaking the object. If the object does not break, the kinetic energy is dissipated quickly and causes pain. However, if the object breaks, the energy is dissipated in breaking bonds in the object rather than in the hand, resulting in less pain. The key factors in this phenomenon are impulse and power, rather than just force. To calculate the behavior of an object when it encounters and breaks another object, an equation can be used with values for different materials.
Jeff_F_F
In a martial arts breaking demo (boards, concrete blocks, or whatever) the amount of pain one's hand or other body part feels correlates with the amount of force applied, up to the point where the force is enough to break the object. If you hit it lightly, there is only a little pain, or if you hit it hard but not hard enough to break it there is a lot of pain. But if you hit it hard enough to break it, there is hardly any pain either--it feels like your hand goes right through it.

I assume that the equal and opposite reaction to the force applied by your hand goes into your hand up to the point that you hand breaks through the object, but when the object breaks then most of the reaction gets absorbed by the object breaking. I'm sure this must be a thing in physics, but I don't know what it is called, which makes it hard to find more information on how to quantify the phenomenon. Also, I assume that probably impulse or maybe power are the key things I'm working with rather than force.

I'd like to be able to calculate the behavior of one object as it encounters another object and breaks it, hopefully using an equation that I can look up values for different materials to plug into the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jeff_F_F said:
I assume that the equal and opposite reaction to the force applied by your hand goes into your hand up to the point that you hand breaks through the object, but when the object breaks then most of the reaction gets absorbed by the object breaking.
That doesn't make any sense. If you call the force applied to the hand "reaction", why would it go into the object? When the object breaks the equal and opposite forces simply both go down.

Jeff_F_F said:
Also, I assume that probably impulse or maybe power are the key things I'm working with rather than force.
If the object doesn't break, all the kinetic energy of the arm has to be dissipated quickly. And that hurts.

Jeff_F_F said:
In a martial arts breaking demo (boards, concrete blocks, or whatever) the amount of pain one's hand or other body part feels correlates with the amount of force applied, up to the point where the force is enough to break the object. If you hit it lightly, there is only a little pain, or if you hit it hard but not hard enough to break it there is a lot of pain. But if you hit it hard enough to break it, there is hardly any pain either--it feels like your hand goes right through it.

Your hand has KE at the moment of impact.

Think about where the energy goes if it doesn't break? Perhaps the KE is absorbed by the hand?

Where does the energy go if it does break? Perhaps the energy is dissipated in breaking bonds in the object rather than in your hand?

Related to Applying Newton's 3rd Law after an object breaks

1. How does Newton's 3rd Law apply after an object breaks?

Newton's 3rd Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object breaks, the force applied to it is equal and opposite to the force it exerts on whatever caused it to break. In other words, if you break a piece of wood in half, the force you applied to break it is equal to the force the wood exerted on your hands.

2. Can Newton's 3rd Law be used to predict how an object will break?

Newton's 3rd Law can help us understand the forces involved in an object breaking, but it cannot predict exactly how an object will break. This is because there are many factors that can affect the way an object breaks, such as its material properties, shape, and how it is being broken.

3. Is there a difference in the application of Newton's 3rd Law for different types of objects?

No, Newton's 3rd Law applies to all objects, regardless of their size, shape, or composition. As long as there is an interaction between two objects, there will be equal and opposite forces at play according to this law.

4. Can Newton's 3rd Law be used to explain why some objects are harder to break than others?

Yes, Newton's 3rd Law can help us understand why some objects are harder to break than others. For example, if you try to break a piece of steel, the force you exert may not be enough to overcome the forces holding the steel together. This is due to the steel's strong molecular bonds, which require a greater force to break.

5. How is Newton's 3rd Law relevant in engineering and design?

Understanding Newton's 3rd Law is crucial in engineering and design, as it helps us predict the forces that will act on a structure or object and design it accordingly. By applying this law, engineers can ensure that their designs can withstand the forces they will encounter, leading to more efficient and durable structures.