Gravitation deep hole physics problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work required to lift a 1-kg mass from the bottom of a deep hole to Earth's surface. The correct formula for gravitational force is mentioned and it is clarified that the force will only be due to the mass of Earth inside the hole. The necessary volume measurement for this calculation is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with gratitude and the assurance that the problem can now be solved.
brad sue
Hi I am stuck with this problem:
A deep hole in Earth reaches a depth of one half of Earth's radius. How much work is done when a 1-kg mass is slowly lifted from the bottom of the hole to Earth's surface?
I use the expression of the gravitation force, F=GMm/R3
so the work would be:
integral (F*(R/2)) from R=R/2 to R=R
I am not sure I am right so I need your input please.
Thank you
Brad

Physics news on Phys.org
Make sure you include the dependence that M has on r (the integration variable).

Your Force function is incorrect.

The Gravitational Force has an INVERSE SQUARE form [tex]F = m \frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex] .
The Force by Gravity will only be due to the mass of Earth that is
INTERIOR to the mass being lifted - presume uniform mass density, that is [tex]M = M_E \frac{V_{inside}}{V_E}[/tex] .

Last edited:
lightgrav said:
Your Force function is incorrect.

The Gravitational Force has an INVERSE SQUARE form [tex]F = m \frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex] .
The Force by Gravity will only be due to the mass of Earth that is
INTERIOR to the mass being lifted - presume uniform mass density, that is [tex]M = M_E \frac{V_{inside}}{V_E}[/tex] .

Thank you.
But How can I compute the Vinside? we only have the length nothing else?
B

Volume? LxWxH !
Yeah, rxrxr = r^3 , the variable r ,
compared with [tex]R_E^3[/tex] , the maximum R .

lightgrav said:
Volume? LxWxH !
Yeah, rxrxr = r^3 , the variable r ,
compared with [tex]R_E^3[/tex] , the maximum R .

OK! I am sorry . sometimes I am a little bit way off!

thank you so much
I can finish this problem now.

B

What is the "Gravitation deep hole physics problem"?

The "Gravitation deep hole physics problem" is a theoretical problem concerning the behavior of matter and energy near a deep hole, such as a black hole. It explores the effects of strong gravitational forces on objects and particles, and how they interact with each other.

Why is the "Gravitation deep hole physics problem" important?

The "Gravitation deep hole physics problem" is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws of physics, particularly in extreme environments like near a black hole. It also has practical applications, such as in the design and operation of spacecraft.

What are some key concepts related to the "Gravitation deep hole physics problem"?

Some key concepts related to the "Gravitation deep hole physics problem" include general relativity, spacetime, event horizon, singularity, and Hawking radiation. These concepts help explain and predict the behavior of matter and energy near a deep hole.

What are some real-life examples of the "Gravitation deep hole physics problem"?

One real-life example of the "Gravitation deep hole physics problem" is the behavior of stars and planets in a galaxy. The distribution of matter and energy, as well as the gravitational forces between them, are influenced by the presence of a supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy.

What are some current research efforts in the field of "Gravitation deep hole physics problem"?

Current research efforts in the field of "Gravitation deep hole physics problem" include studying the properties of black holes, such as their mass and spin, and how they affect their surroundings. Scientists are also investigating the possibility of detecting gravitational waves from the collision of black holes.