Verify Thermochemistry answer (no calculations)

In summary, the conversation discussed the type of system that hot coffee in a vacuum flask (thermos) is an example of. The choices were closed, open, and isolated. The initial belief was that it was a closed system because the coffee was not interacting with the surroundings, but there was some debate as to whether it could also be considered an open system due to its interaction with the flask. However, it was ultimately determined that it is an isolated system because there is no heat transfer between the coffee and its surroundings.
ace123
I just want to make sure my logic is correct.

Hot coffee in a vacuum flask (thermos) is an example of what type of sytem?

Choices:

Closed
Open
Isolated

I thought it was closed system because the coffee is not interacting with the surroundings. But one of my classmates said he thought it was open because it's interacting with the flask. So which one of is correct?

Edit: I know believe it's isolated because heat is not exchanged. at least I don't think it is

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
heres my .02 (too much fun to stay away :) )

open or closed? depends on if the lid is on and tightened on the flask

the system is the coffee, the flask (and its vacuum ) is the boundary, the surroundings is the rest of the universe outside of the flask.

open if the lid is not on
closed and isolated if it is on and closed tight

Yea we don't have that much information. But apparently it was isolated because heat it not transfered. So thank you for your .02 :smile:

Definitely isolated - no mass transfer and no energy transfer.

Related to Verify Thermochemistry answer (no calculations)

What is thermochemistry?

Thermochemistry is the branch of science that studies the heat energy involved in chemical reactions and processes.

Why is it important to verify thermochemistry answers?

It is important to verify thermochemistry answers because errors in calculations or measurements can lead to inaccurate results, which can have consequences in various fields such as industry, research, and medicine.

What methods can be used to verify thermochemistry answers?

There are several methods that can be used to verify thermochemistry answers, such as calorimetry, enthalpy measurements, and Hess's law. These methods involve experimental measurements and calculations to ensure the accuracy of the answer.

What are some common sources of error in thermochemistry experiments?

Some common sources of error in thermochemistry experiments include incomplete combustion, heat loss to the surroundings, and measurement errors. It is important to identify and minimize these errors to obtain accurate results.

How can I ensure the accuracy of my thermochemistry calculations?

To ensure the accuracy of thermochemistry calculations, it is important to use reliable data and perform multiple measurements. Additionally, double-checking calculations and seeking feedback from peers or experts can also help verify the accuracy of the answer.