Question: Conservation of Momentum

In summary, the initial speed of the two linked spacecraft before separation can be calculated using the law of cosines. After calculating the final momentum of each spacecraft, the vectors are added using the law of cosines to determine the resultant momentum. With a combined mass of 36000kg, the initial speed can be solved for, giving a final answer of 944m/s.
roane
I'm not very confident with my final answer for this question, wondering where I might have gone off track...

2 spacecraft are thrust apart, what was the original speed of the 2 craft when they were linked together?

Mass spacecraft 1 = 1.9 x 10^4kg
Velocity spacecraft 1 after separation is 3.5 x 10^3 km/h @ 5.1º [NE]

Mass spacecraft 2 = 1.7 x 10^4kg
Velocity spacecraft 2 after separation is 3.4 x 10^3 km/h @ 5.9º [SE]

For spacecraft 1
p = m*v
p = 1.8 x 10^7 kg.m/s

For spacecraft 2
p = m*v
p = 1.6 x 10^7 kg.m/s

The first vector is 1.8 x 10^7 kg.m/s @ 5.1 [NE]
The second vector is 1.6 x 10^7 kg.m/s @ 5.9 [SE]
The angle between these 2 vectors is 169º.

Using law of cosines...
c^2 = (1.8 x 10^7)^2+(1.6 x 10^7)^2 -[2(1.8 x 10^7)(1.6 x 10^7)cos(169)]
c^2 = 3.24 x 10^14 + 2.56 x 10^14 -[2(2.88 x 10^14)cos(169)]
c^2 = 5.8 x 10^14 + 5.7 x 10^14
c^2 = 11.5 x 10^14

c = 3.4 x 10^7kg.m/s

Final momentum = Initial momentum
p = m.v
and combined mass before separation is 36000kg
3.4 x 10^7kg.m/s = 36000kg.v

v = 944m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums :smile:

I really don't follow your derivation, in particular:

• Are the angles 5.1° and 5.9° taken from the x axis or the y axis?
  • I don't see the significance of c here. I get that it's supposed to be the difference between the momenta of the two spacecraft , but that isn't useful in any way I'm aware of.

That being said -- the usual way to solve these problems is to set up two equations, expressing the conservation of momentum in the x and y directions. This will give you the x and y components of the initial velocity.

Hi, thanks for responding!

My thinking was...first I'd calculate the total final momentum of each craft after separation.

Then create a diagram of the vector addition and use Law of Cosines where the resultant would be the "c" variable.

The arrow representing P after separation of the first craft would be 5.1° below the x-axis.
The arrow representing P after separation of the second craft would be 5.9° above the x-axis.
The angle between the 2 vectors is 169°

Since initial momentum = final momentum, the resultant here will equal total initial momentum which I arrived at 3.4 x 10^7kg.m/s

And two masses combined before separation is 36000kg

3.4 x 10^7kg.m/s = 36000kg.v

v = 944m/s

Ah, now I understand. Your answer looks pretty good, though there may be some roundoff error. You might try expressing your intermediate calculations in 3 significant figures, then round off to the correct sig figs at the very end.

OK, Thanks so much!

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. This means that the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

Why is the conservation of momentum important?

The conservation of momentum is important because it is a fundamental law of physics that helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It also allows us to analyze and solve problems involving collisions, explosions, and other interactions between objects.

How is momentum conserved in an isolated system?

In an isolated system, which is a system with no external forces acting on it, momentum is conserved because there is no net external force to change the total momentum of the system. This means that the total momentum before an interaction must be equal to the total momentum after the interaction.

Can the conservation of momentum be violated?

No, the conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics and has been extensively tested and verified through experiments. It is one of the most important principles in physics and has been shown to hold true in all physical interactions.

How is momentum conserved in a collision?

In a collision, momentum is conserved because the total momentum of the objects involved before the collision must be equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the momentums of the individual objects before the collision is equal to the sum of their momentums after the collision.