Know any good laser experiments?

In summary, the conversation discusses ideas for experiments to try with a new power supply for a HeNe laser. Suggestions include using a small front-surface mirror to modulate the laser's light, setting up a receiver to demodulate the signal at a distance, and using rotating mirrors and diffraction gratings. The conversation also includes a humorous suggestion to use the laser like a "death ray" and speculation about the location of a mirror left behind on the moon.
alex caps
I decided to buy a power supply for my HeNe laser. I was wondering if anyone could suggest any good experiments to try. I am planning on eventually doing some holography work and I know about the double slit experiment. Any other ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Measure the coherence length? (Don't ask me how, though, I haven't done it myself.)

Put a small front-surface mirror on a speaker, and rock to the music (ah, the heady days of undergrad...)

You may modulate the LASER's light by making and breaking the signal. The coding is left as an exercise for the experimenter (an easy one is http://users.erols.com/k3mt/morse/cw.htm ). Set up a reciever some distance away and demodulate the signal at the reciever site. The signal path is line-of-sight, so you could set this up, hilltop to hilltop.

You will probably encounter some interesting effects; e.g. depending on how much moisture is in the air, your signal will become progressively scattered which will limit the distance of successfull demodulation. On a clear day, it would be quite interesting to see how far the light can go and be successfully demodulated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would use it like a death ray and see how many cities you can topple.

Check into rotating mirrors and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_grating" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, You don't suppose that mirror left behind on the Moon is pointing towords Usama Bin Laden do yah? LOL

What is a laser?

A laser, or Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation, is a device that emits a narrow, intense beam of light through the process of optical amplification.

What are some examples of laser experiments?

Some examples of laser experiments include measuring the speed of light, creating holograms, and demonstrating diffraction and interference patterns.

Can lasers be harmful?

Yes, lasers can be harmful if not used properly. The intense beam of light can cause eye damage or burns. It is important to always follow safety precautions when conducting laser experiments.

Do I need special equipment for laser experiments?

Yes, laser experiments typically require specific equipment such as a laser source, optical components, and detectors. These can vary depending on the specific experiment you are conducting.

Are there any resources for finding laser experiments?

Yes, there are many resources available for finding laser experiments, such as scientific journals, online databases, and educational websites. Consulting with a laser expert or attending a laser workshop can also provide valuable resources.