Does the Rejection of Concealed Carry Reciprocity Affect State Gun Laws?

• News
  • Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary: States have different standards (some times wildly different) by which they determine elegibility for concealed carry permits. Some states are even 'will issue'(I think that's the term) where they will give anyone a permit that meets certain minimum criteria while I think in most states you must submit a ligitimate reason for your having such a permit and issuance is at the discretion of the regulating agency. A concealed carry permit from one state would not be accepted in another state, even if the individual had a valid permit from that other state. For example, if a person from Texas had a concealed carry permit from California, the Texas permit would not be valid in New
Jimmy Snyder
In a blow to the Copenhagen interpretation, the Senate on Wednesday rejected a measure allowing a person with a concealed weapon permit in one state to also hide his firearm in another state.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32078707/ns/politics-capitol_hill"
Anyone here secretly carrying a gun?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We can't allow your uber-liberal Scandinavian physics to dictate American policy

You'll never know unless you measure my pocket :rofl:

I don't see the big deal though, it's common sense to gun owners I know. For example, a shotgun in California isn't allowed to hold more then 3 shells including one in the chamber (or is it 4? :biggrin:). If you bring in a shotgun from another state, it needs to be plugged or probably just don't be caught with more shells then is legal.

The defeat of hidden-variable carry...sad.

hell nah this thread is funny! hahaa. I just got off from reading those PhD comics for almost 2 hours, **** is addictive!

No worries, Shrodinger's bullets are harmless.

No, I'm not carrying a concealed gun, I'm just happy to see you.

I'm not entirely clear on the issue here. At first glance it seemed to me like it wasn't fundamentally different than having a drivers' license be transferrable between states. Is it just a matter of minor incompatibilities between concealed carry laws?

lisab said:
Well... as long as you don't look at them.

just require everyone to open carry. problem solved.

russ_watters said:
I'm not entirely clear on the issue here. At first glance it seemed to me like it wasn't fundamentally different than having a drivers' license be transferrable between states. Is it just a matter of minor incompatibilities between concealed carry laws?

States have different standards (some times wildly different) by which they determine elegibility for concealed carry permits. Some states are even 'will issue'(I think that's the term) where they will give anyone a permit that meets certain minimum criteria while I think in most states you must submit a ligitimate reason for your having such a permit and issuance is at the discretion of the regulating agency.

Edit: I think, essentially, law enforcement likes to know who is carrying concealed weapons in their jurisdiction.

russ_watters said:

Wait, drivers licenses don't carry across state borders? I can't believe that.

maverick_starstrider said:
Wait, drivers licenses don't carry across state borders? I can't believe that.

You can usually use your drivers license for a period of time out of state but if you stay there long enough to be considered a resident (and this varies from place to place) you must get a new state driver's license from the state of residence.

Edit: but yes, just driving from place to place your license works fine.

The issue of out of state drivers licenses is an interesting one regarding law enforcement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Compact
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Agreement

This sheds good light on the concealed carry issue. Imagine if Montana decided to never penalize drivers who committed violations outside their state. So you speed at 140 mph in New York, get a ticket, go back to Montana, and never have to pay it. The rest of the states would fight pretty hard if they were forced to accept Montanans driving around their state, knowing they can basically do whatever they want, and as long as no one gets killed go home and pay nothing.

Last edited:
Office_Shredder said:
The issue of out of state drivers licenses is an interesting one regarding law enforcement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Compact
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Agreement

This sheds good light on the concealed carry issue. Imagine if Montana decided to never penalize drivers who committed violations outside their state. So you speed at 140 mph in New York, get a ticket, go back to Montana, and never have to pay it. The rest of the states would fight pretty hard if they were forced to accept Montanans driving around their state, knowing they can basically do whatever they want, and as long as no one gets killed go home and pay nothing.

Indeed, I think that's the point. Having a driver's license gives you permission to drive in another state, but it doesn't give you permission to ignore their rules of the road and driving laws in favor of the ones from your home state.

As another example, in my state, I'm still allowed to hold my cell phone in my hand while on a call and drive at the same time. However, if I cross the state line into a state that does not permit being on the cell phone without a hands-free earpiece thing, I better disconnect that call or switch to a hands-free device. I don't get to tell the cop stopping me that I am allowed to hold the phone at home so need to be allowed to hold it in their state.

lisab said:
Are you sure? What if they are indeterminate and take all possible paths through you?

I doubt that the laws of any state can directly impose restrictions on another state. I note that PA will not recognize an out-of-state driver's license of someone who has lived in PA for 60 days, while in FL, it's 30 days. Perhaps there is no Federal law that forces a state to recognize out-of-state licenses, or perhaps the Federal law provides for a minimum but not a maximum grace period. The key issue is that without a Federal law, states can do what they want. Was it not for this very reason that the bill was introduced in the Senate in the first place?

Edit: or that states have agreed among themselves without involving the Feds.

Last edited:

What is Schrodinger's pistol?

Schrodinger's pistol is a thought experiment in quantum mechanics created by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger. It is based on the concept of quantum superposition, where an object, in this case a pistol, can exist in multiple states at the same time.

How does Schrodinger's pistol work?

In the thought experiment, a live cat is placed in a box with a pistol. The pistol is connected to a mechanism that has a 50% chance of firing and a 50% chance of not firing. According to quantum mechanics, until the box is opened and the cat is observed, the cat and the pistol exist in a state of superposition, where they are both alive and dead at the same time.

Is Schrodinger's pistol possible in real life?

No, Schrodinger's pistol is only a thought experiment and does not exist in reality. It is used to illustrate the strange and counterintuitive nature of quantum mechanics.

What is the purpose of Schrodinger's pistol?

Schrodinger's pistol is used to demonstrate the concept of quantum superposition and the role of observation in quantum mechanics. It also highlights the limitations of classical physics in explaining the behavior of subatomic particles.

What are the implications of Schrodinger's pistol in the field of quantum mechanics?

Schrodinger's pistol highlights the fact that the act of observation can affect the outcome of quantum events. It also raises questions about the nature of reality and the role of consciousness in shaping it.