Atmospheric C14 is measured permil Permil of what?

• Thread starter Calvadosser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atmospheric
In summary, atmospheric C14 measurements are available and given as "per thousand" in comparison to stable C12. It is not clear what the measurements are specifically in parts per 1000 of, but it is likely related to C12.
Calvadosser
Atmospheric C14 is measured "permil". Permil of what?

I'm interested in understanding how the level of atmospheric radiocarbon has declined since atmospheric nuclear testing ended. Please excuse my ignorance of what is no doubt something extremely elementary.

Atmospheric C14 measurements are available - for example http://scrippsco2.ucsd.edu/data/flask_co2_and_isotopic/daily_iso/mlo_c14indiv.csv These tables give "Atmospheric Delta-14C (permil) derived from flask air samples."

The measured C14 is given as "permil" but I don't know what it is permil of.

Please help me understand what this means, so I can convert the measurements given into absolute units. Thank you for your help.

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Martin! :smile:
Calvadosser said:
Atmospheric C14 measurements are available - for example http://scrippsco2.ucsd.edu/data/flask_co2_and_isotopic/daily_iso/mlo_c14indiv.csv These tables give "Atmospheric Delta-14C (permil) derived from flask air samples."

Unfortunately, there is no way of being sure whether it means "per thousand" or "per million" :rolleyes:

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_mil :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:

I believe it is usually given as a ratio to stable C12.

As for "per thousand" vs "per million", judging by the Wiki article referenced by tiny-tim, it is "per thousand". Another pointer to that is that in the tabulated data provided includes another quantity which is expressed as "ppm" which is explicitly "per million".

Beee - thanks for that. I also thought it probably was relative to C12 - but the values go up to 900 in some C14 measurements. The symbol "0/00" is used sometimes - definitely indicating parts per 1000.

So I'm still puzzled what it is parts per 1000 of.

1. What exactly is atmospheric C14?

Atmospheric C14 is a radioactive isotope of carbon, also known as radiocarbon, that is naturally produced in the Earth's atmosphere. It is used for measuring the age of organic materials.

2. How is atmospheric C14 measured?

Atmospheric C14 is measured using a technique called radiocarbon dating, in which the amount of C14 in a sample is compared to the amount of stable carbon isotopes. This allows scientists to determine the age of the sample.

3. What does "permil" refer to in relation to atmospheric C14 measurements?

"Permil" is a unit used to express small differences in the ratio of C14 to stable carbon isotopes. It is short for "per mille" or "per thousand".

4. Permil of what is atmospheric C14 measured?

Atmospheric C14 is measured as a ratio of C14 to stable carbon isotopes in a particular sample. This ratio is then compared to the ratio found in the atmosphere at a given time to determine the age of the sample.

5. Why is measuring atmospheric C14 important?

Measuring atmospheric C14 is important for understanding the age and history of organic materials, such as fossils and artifacts. It also helps scientists study the effects of human activities, such as burning fossil fuels, on the Earth's atmosphere.