Predicting raindrop speed from a given height

In summary, the conversation is about a project that involves measuring raindrop parameters, specifically the sub-terminal speed of drops released from a certain height. The equation being used is from a paper and involves various variables such as gravity, density, viscosity, and empirical constants. The speaker is seeking suggestions on how to approach calculating the fall velocity, including possibly using a numerical method for evaluating the integral.
uluru
hi everybody,

so I'm working on a project where I'm trying to measure raindrop parameters, and one thing I'm looking at is the sub-terminal speed of drops released from a certain height. The equation that I'm using is from http://staff.science.uva.nl/~jboxel/Publications/PDFs/Gent_98.pdf

The gist of the equation that I was considering is:

F = g*ρw*∏*d^3/6 - 3*∏*d*μ*V*Ct*Cd

where Ct = 1+0.16*Re^(2/3)

and Re = ρVD/μ;

and Cd = 1+a(We+b)^c - ab^c

where a,b,c are empirically derived constants and We = ρ*V^2*d/σ

Basically, when I put everything together and try to calculate fall velocity, I get stuck with a disgusting integral, because I use

V(t)=∫a(t) = (1/m)*∫F(t)

Does anybody have suggestions for how to approach this? I just want to make a model in matlab.. it seems like I could do some kind of step approach, because I looked at the integral and it's really nasty, but I don't know what to do, because I have V(t) on both sides...

Or if anybody knows of a simpler model presented in a paper, I could use that too. I just want to compare my data with a preexisting model; it's not critical to my project, but I think it's important.

Engineering news on Phys.org
uluru said:
Does anybody have suggestions for how to approach this? I just want to make a model in matlab.. it seems like I could do some kind of step approach, because I looked at the integral and it's really nasty, but I don't know what to do, because I have V(t) on both sides...
Hi uluru! Why don't you write the equation out neatly on paper and scan it? Someone may be able to offer suggestions on making V(t) the subject of the formula.

You may then be able to use a numerical method to evaluate the integral. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_integration

1. How do you determine the speed of a raindrop falling from a certain height?

In order to determine the speed of a raindrop, you will need to use the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the speed in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height in meters.

2. What factors can affect the speed of a raindrop?

The speed of a raindrop can be affected by several factors such as air resistance, wind speed, and the size and shape of the raindrop.

3. Can the speed of a raindrop be accurately predicted?

While the equation v = √(2gh) can provide an estimate of the speed of a raindrop, it may not always be accurate due to the various factors that can affect the speed. However, it can give a general idea of the speed at which a raindrop will fall from a certain height.

4. How does the height at which a raindrop falls affect its speed?

The higher the height from which a raindrop falls, the faster it will be travelling when it reaches the ground. This is because the raindrop has more time to accelerate due to the force of gravity as it falls.

5. Why is it important to predict raindrop speed?

Predicting raindrop speed can be important for understanding the potential impact of heavy rainfall, such as flash floods or erosion. It can also be useful in predicting the trajectory and intensity of rainfall in certain areas.