Helicopter height and vertical speed?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a helicopter's acceleration and height. The helicopter has a mass of 2500 kg and accelerates at a constant rate of 1.7 m/s^2. It is modeled as a 2.6-m diameter sphere and air resistance is taken into account. The conversation also mentions the equations for gravity and drag, and the standard density of air at sea level. The calculations involve finding the drag force, the frontal area of the sphere, and the vertical speed of the helicopter. The final height of the helicopter is calculated using the acceleration-velocity-distance formula. The conversation ends with a discussion about not forgetting to consider the helicopter's acceleration in the calculations.
bbbl67

Homework Statement

This is not my homework question, I was asked to help with it, but I've been out of the engineering field for many years now. Here's the question:

Starting from rest, a 2500 kg helicopter accelerates straight up at a constant 1.7 m/s2. What is the helicopter's height at the moment its blades are providing an upward force of 29 kN? The helicopter can be modeled as a 2.6-m -diameter sphere, and air resistance is not negligible.

Homework Equations

Gravity:
F_g = m g

Drag:
C_d = F_d/(1/2 ρ u^2 A) |
F_d | drag force
C_d | drag coefficient
ρ | mass density
u | characteristic speed
A | frontal area

I looked up the drag coefficient (https://is.gd/qpe40K) of a sphere, and found two figures:
C_d = 0.1 (laminar)
C_d = 0.45 (turbulent)

So, I chose the turbulent figure (0.45).

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that the two forces will add up to 29 kN at a certain point, so:
F_g + F_d = 29 kN
F_d = 29 kN - F_g
= 29 kN - m g
= 29 kN - 2500 kg * 9.8 m/s^2
= 4.5 kN

The standard density of air at sea level is:
ρ = 1.204 kg/m^3

The frontal area of a sphere is:
A = pi * r^2
= pi * (2.6 m / 2)^2
= 5.309 m^2

So we have everything except the vertical speed of the helicopter, which we can find by rearranging the drag coefficient formula, and we get:
C_d = F_d/(1/2 ρ u^2 A)
u^2 = F_d/(1/2 ρ C_d A)
u = sqrt(F_d/(1/2 ρ C_d A))
= sqrt(4.5 kN/(0.5 * 1.204 kg/m^3 * 0.45 * 5.309 m^2))
= 56 m/s

Now to find the final height of the helicopter, we have to use and rearrange the acceleration-velocity-distance formula:

v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2 a d |
v_f | final speed
a | acceleration
v_i | initial speed
d | distance

v_i = 0
v_f = u = 56 m/s
a = 1.7 m/s^2
d = h = ?
h = (v_f^2 - v_i^2)/ 2a
= (56 m/s)^2 / 2 (1.7 m/s^2)

Therefore,
h = 883 m

Were my procedures okay? Any critiques?

Physics news on Phys.org
bbbl67 said:
F_g + F_d = 29 kN
That would make the helicopter keep its speed.
Don't forget its acceleration.

mfb said:
That would make the helicopter keep its speed.
Don't forget its acceleration.
Well, the acceleration was used in the height calculation.

That is not the only step where you need it. I quoted the part where you forgot to consider it.

1. How is the height of a helicopter measured?

The height of a helicopter is typically measured using a radar altimeter or a barometric altimeter. These instruments use different methods to determine the altitude of the helicopter, but both provide an accurate measurement of the height above ground level.

2. What is the maximum height a helicopter can fly?

The maximum height a helicopter can fly depends on various factors such as the type of helicopter, its weight, and the atmospheric conditions. Generally, helicopters can fly up to 10,000-15,000 feet in altitude, but some specialized models can reach much higher altitudes.

3. How does a helicopter maintain its height?

A helicopter maintains its height by adjusting the pitch of its rotors. When the pitch is increased, the helicopter generates more lift and rises in altitude. Conversely, decreasing the pitch reduces lift, causing the helicopter to descend. This process is controlled by the pilot using the collective control.

4. What is vertical speed in relation to a helicopter?

Vertical speed is the rate at which a helicopter is ascending or descending in altitude. It is measured in feet per minute (ft/min) or meters per second (m/s). A positive vertical speed indicates the helicopter is climbing, while a negative vertical speed means it is descending.

5. How does a helicopter's vertical speed affect its flight?

A helicopter's vertical speed can significantly impact its flight. A high vertical speed can indicate a rapid ascent or descent, which can be dangerous if not controlled properly. Pilots must monitor and adjust the vertical speed to maintain a safe and stable flight. Changes in vertical speed can also affect the handling and stability of the helicopter, so it is crucial to maintain a steady and controlled rate of ascent or descent.