Truth table, implication and equivalence

In summary: Overall, it's important to understand that '->' and '<->' are simply symbols used to represent implication and equivalence in mathematical logic, and they may differ from the common use of these terms in everyday language. The best way to differentiate between these two is to understand their definitions and how they are used in logical statements.
bobby2k
Hello, I have some questions about the truth tables for impliocation and equivalence.

for implication we have:

p | q | p=> q

T | T | T
T | F | F
F | T | T
F | F | T

Here I do not understand the last two lines, how can we say that p implies q when p is false, and q is either true or false, if we only know that p is false and q is true, shouldn't p=> be unknown instead of T?
The same for p is false and q is false?, shouldn't p=>q then be unknown.

I have the same problem for equivalence:

p | q | p<=> q

T | T | T
T | F | F
F | T | F
F | F | T

Here I only have the problem with the last line when both p and q are false. How can we then say that p implies q?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to move away from the English language idea of "implies" and into a more general mathematical view of it. In fact, it would behoove you to realize that "P implies Q" is just a convenient way of saying P -> Q, which to many people tends to imply that you can deduce Q from P, which as you can see isn't always true.

The idea that if given a false statement and a true or false conclusion, then the conclusion doesn't matter, because the statement is false. Think of it like a contract. If you run a mile, then I'll give you water. What if you ran half mile and I gave you water? What if you ran half a mile and I don't give you water? Well, I didn't lie, because my conclusion was only guaranteed when you fulfilled your obligation, so therefore no matter the case, I did a 'truthful' thing.

MarneMath said:
You have to move away from the English language idea of "implies" and into a more general mathematical view of it. In fact, it would behoove you to realize that "P implies Q" is just a convenient way of saying P -> Q, which to many people tends to imply that you can deduce Q from P, which as you can see isn't always true.

The idea that if given a false statement and a true or false conclusion, then the conclusion doesn't matter, because the statement is false. Think of it like a contract. If you run a mile, then I'll give you water. What if you ran half mile and I gave you water? What if you ran half a mile and I don't give you water? Well, I didn't lie, because my conclusion was only guaranteed when you fulfilled your obligation, so therefore no matter the case, I did a 'truthful' thing.

Thank you, I think I understand it now.

I have another question though. I think I used the wrong arrows, for what I was supposed to explain I should have use -> and <-> instead of => and <=>. Is there any easy way to explain the difference of these two kinds of implications?

Is it correct to use the implication a>0 -> "a is positive" or a >0 => "a is positive"

Implication and Equivalence

bobby2k said:
Thank you, I think I understand it now.
I have another question though. I think I used the wrong arrows, for what I was supposed to explain I should have use -> and <-> instead of => and <=>. Is there any easy way to explain the difference of these two kinds of implications?

Quine has called this an unfortunate choice of terminology dating back at least to Russell of calling the statement connective '[itex]\supset[/itex]' or '→' "implication". This invites confusion with the notion of "logical implication" which is the relationship between formulas A and B when it is not possible for A to be true and B false.

Similarly, by calling the sentence connective '[itex]\leftrightarrow[/itex]' or '[itex]\equiv[/itex]' "equivalence" we invite confusion with the notion of "logical equivalence" which is the relationship between formulas A and B when A logically implies B and B logically implies A.

Sometimes the symbol '[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]' is used for logical implication and the symbol '[itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex]' is used for logical equivalence. Notice, however, that in this case these symbols belong not to the object language (sentential calculus, predicate calculus, etc.) but to the meta-langauge. Logical implication and logical equivalence are relationships between formulas not sentence connectives.

Using '[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]' for logical implication and '[itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex]' for logical equivalence, we can capture their relationship with '→' and '[itex]\leftrightarrow[/itex]' as follows:

A [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] B if and only if 'A → B' is logically true.
A [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] B if and only if 'A [itex]\leftrightarrow[/itex] B' is logically true.

Last edited:

1. What is a truth table?

A truth table is a table that lists all possible combinations of truth values for a set of logical propositions and their corresponding truth values. It is used to determine the truth value of a compound proposition based on the truth values of its individual components.

2. How do you read a truth table?

A truth table is read from left to right, with each column representing a logical proposition and its corresponding truth values. The rows represent all possible combinations of truth values for the propositions. The final column is the truth value of the compound proposition based on the given truth values.

3. What is implication in logic?

Implication is a logical operation that indicates a relationship between two propositions, where the truth of one proposition (the antecedent) leads to the truth of another proposition (the consequent). It is denoted by the symbol "→" and can be read as "if...then..." or "implies".

4. How is implication represented in a truth table?

In a truth table, implication is represented by the column that shows the truth value of the compound proposition based on the truth values of the antecedent and consequent. If the antecedent is true and the consequent is false, the implication is false. In all other cases, the implication is true.

5. What is equivalence in logic?

Equivalence is a logical operation that denotes a relationship between two propositions, where they have the same truth value. It is denoted by the symbol "↔" and can be read as "if and only if". Two propositions are equivalent if they have the same truth values in all possible combinations.