Finding the function from ds=[2/(1-r^2)]√ (dr^2+(rd∅)^2)

• Thread starter nafizamin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, in relativity theory, in a certain "rapid space" the distance between two neighboring points is given by- ds=[2/(1-r^2)]√ (dr^2+(rd∅)^2)
nafizamin
in relativity theory, in a certain "rapid space" the distance between two neighboring points is given by-
ds=[2/(1-r^2)]√ (dr^2+(rd∅)^2)

(considering a 2D space )

use the euler lagrange equation to show that the shortest distance from origin to any point is straight line.

attempt-

i don't know what's a rapid space, but i took the function in the euler lagrange equation as
f= [2/(1-r^2)]√ (+(r∅')^2) [∅'=d∅/dr]

then since ∂f/∂∅=0, so ∂f/∂∅'= const= r^2/ [(1-r^2)]√ (dr^2+(rd∅)^2)]

but how does the integration lead to a straight line ? could anybody do that for me ?

p.s: this isn't a homework !

Physics news on Phys.org
rapidity space?
http://abacus.bates.edu/~msemon/RhodesSemonFinal.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I think all you need is to show that ##\ddot{\phi}=0##. With ##L=(1/2)(g_{rr}\dot{r}^2+g_{\phi\phi}\dot{\phi}^2)##. ##m## is set to 1 since it cancels out of the EOM.

From ##\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\phi}}\right)=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi}## is evident that ##\ddot{\phi}=0##.

Last edited:
Mentz114 said:
I think all you need is to show that ##\ddot{\phi}=0##. With ##L=(1/2)(g_{rr}\dot{r}^2+g_{\phi\phi}\dot{\phi}^2)##. ##m## is set to 1 since it cancels out of the EOM.

From ##\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\phi}}\right)=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi}## is evident that ##\ddot{\phi}=0##.

i didn't understand. could you elaborate, please ?

nafizamin said:
i didn't understand. could you elaborate, please ?

Which piece did you not understand ?

I have to admit that the extremization here is to find equations of motion and I don't know if that corresponds to what you are trying to do. Also, my assertion about the sufficiency of ##\ddot{\phi}=0## is probably not right.

I need help too. Maybe someone else can put us right.

Did you read the reference given by robphy ? The section on geodesics may be relevant.

See page 949 in Robphy's link. The derivation given is clear and simple.

Likes 1 person
yes found it on rolphy. thank you everyone.

1. What is the function represented by the given equation?

The function represented by the given equation is a polar coordinate system, where r represents the distance from the origin and ∅ represents the angle measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.

2. How do I find the function from the given equation?

To find the function from the given equation, you can use the chain rule to differentiate the equation with respect to r. This will give you an expression for the derivative of the function, which can then be integrated to find the original function.

3. What is the significance of the variable r in the equation?

The variable r represents the distance from the origin in a polar coordinate system. It is used to determine the value of the function at a given point in the polar plane.

4. Can this equation be used to convert between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

Yes, this equation can be used to convert between polar and Cartesian coordinates by using the relationships x = rcos(∅) and y = rsin(∅). By plugging in these values for x and y, you can rewrite the equation in terms of x and y to get a Cartesian equation.

5. What are the limitations of using this equation to find a function?

One limitation of using this equation to find a function is that it only applies to polar coordinate systems and cannot be used for other types of coordinate systems. Additionally, the function found from this equation may not be the most simplified or efficient representation of the original function.