Torque and angular momentum with ball shot into air

In summary, the angular momentum of a 0.380 kg ball shot upward with an initial speed of 38.5 m/s at a horizontal distance of 1.85 m from the launch point can be found using the formula l=r x p. To find the angular momentum when the ball is at its max height or halfway back to the ground, the velocity and distance from point P would need to be known. The torque on the ball due to gravitational force can be found using the formula r x F x sin theta, where F is the gravitational force and r is the distance from point P. To find the value of theta, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to calculate the distance from point P.
physicsklutz
A 0.380 kg ball is shot directly upward with an initial speed of 38.5 m/s. What is its angular momentum about point P, at a horizontal distance of 1.85 m from the launch point, when the ball is at its max height? Halfway back to the ground? What is the torque on the ball about point P due to the gravitational force when the ball is at its max height? Halfway back to the ground?

Where should I begin?

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular momentum of a particle wrt to a point would be
[tex] l=r \times p [/tex].
So, what do you need to find first to find the angular momentum?

to find angular momentum when the object is halfway back to the ground, should i use the velocity at that point? and to find r, would i use the hypotenuse of the height of the object and the distance the object is from P?

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have this exact same question on a problem due tonight. Only difference is my initial velocity is 41.0m/s and point P is 2.05m from the base of the launch point and the mass is 0.360kg.

I used kinematics to find the maximum height:
v^2 - v0^2 = 2*a*D
0 - 41^2 = 2 * (-9.8) * D
D = 85.7m

I'm solving the torque one first.

Torque = rxF = r * F * sin theta

F in this case, in the problem they are defining it as the gravitational force which would be mg = 0.360 * 9.8 = 3.52N

Now, we need to find r.

That would be pythagorean theorem...sqrt ( 2.05^2 + 85.7^2 ) = 85.789m..

So we have mg * r = 0.360 * 9.8 * 85.789 * sin theta

I keep getting the problem wrong because I think I am getting the wrong value of theta?

Theta is the tan inverse of (2.05 / 85.7), right?

Here's an image:
W0233A-N.jpg

I believe the angle should be tan^(-1)(y/x) so its your max height over your distance to point p

What is the difference between torque and angular momentum?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis, while angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object around an axis. In simpler terms, torque causes rotation, while angular momentum is the result of rotation.

How does the angle of launch affect the torque and angular momentum of a ball shot into the air?

The angle of launch affects both the torque and angular momentum of a ball shot into the air. A ball shot at a higher angle will have a greater vertical component of velocity, resulting in a greater angular momentum. The torque will also be affected, as the ball will experience a greater force of gravity pulling it towards the ground.

What is the relationship between torque and angular momentum in a projectile motion?

In projectile motion, the torque and angular momentum are closely related. As the ball moves through the air, the torque acting on it changes, causing its angular momentum to change. This change in angular momentum is what causes the ball to curve in its trajectory.

How does the mass of the ball affect its torque and angular momentum when shot into the air?

The mass of the ball has a direct impact on both the torque and angular momentum when shot into the air. A heavier ball will have a greater moment of inertia, which means it will require more torque to rotate. This also means that it will have a greater angular momentum when shot into the air.

How is the conservation of angular momentum applied in a ball shot into the air?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. In the case of a ball shot into the air, the initial angular momentum of the ball will be equal to its final angular momentum when it reaches the peak of its trajectory, as there are no external torques acting on it in an ideal scenario.