Take your Side: Dawkins vs. Dyson Debate

• Thread starter Pavel
  • Start date
In summary, two prominent biologists, Richard Dawkins and Freeman Dyson, are engaged in a debate over whether natural selection occurs within a species or among groups. Dawkins argues for individual gene selection, while Dyson supports group selection. However, Dawkins presents several arguments against group selection, including its counteraction by natural selection, its lack of sense on a genetic level, and the more efficient explanation of altruism and aggression through a genetic perspective. Overall, Dawkins' view of individual gene selection is more widely accepted in the field of biology.
Pavel
I ran across this interesting "friendly" exchange between these two titans of modern biology arguing over whether the natural selection happens WITHIN the species (Dawkins) or among groups (Dyson). I'm in no position to be the arbitrator, but I would love to hear some opinions from the people who know a great deal about biology. Whose side would you take?

http://www.edge.org/documents/life/life_index.html#dd

Thanks,

Pavel

Biology news on Phys.org
Group selection is fundamentally flawed in at least two (maybe even three) ways. It counteracts itself (when GS tries to explain someone, it will be countered by natural selection later), one can apply reductio ad absurdum (why not species or family?) to it and it fails to make sense on a genetic level (why select for sacrifice for someone who do not share your genes or is able to perform reciprocal altruism?). I can expand on the argument in a few hours when I have more time if you wish.

Even if group selection took place, individual (or gene) selection operates on a much faster time period. Frankly, after reviewing the arguments, I find that altruism, aggression and whatever else data group selection is suppose to explain is better explained by a genetic view rather than a group view.

To my knowledge, gene selection is mainstream rather than group selection.

http://ib.berkeley.edu/courses/ib160/past_papers/beroukhim.html
http://www.simonyi.ox.ac.uk/dawkins/WorldOfDawkins-archive/Dawkins/Work/Articles/1994burying_the_vehicle.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:

As a biologist, I find this debate between Dawkins and Dyson to be quite fascinating. Both are highly respected and influential figures in the field of biology, and their perspectives on the role of natural selection are thought-provoking.

On one hand, Dawkins argues that natural selection operates at the level of the individual, with genes being the unit of selection. This idea, known as the gene-centered view of evolution, has been widely accepted in the scientific community and has been supported by numerous studies. Dawkins argues that individuals with advantageous genes are more likely to survive and reproduce, passing on those genes to their offspring and increasing their frequency in the population.

On the other hand, Dyson proposes that natural selection also operates at the level of the group. He argues that cooperation and altruistic behaviors can also be favored by natural selection, as they can benefit the group as a whole. This idea, known as group selection, has been a topic of debate for many years, with some researchers providing evidence for its existence and others criticizing it as being too difficult to test.

Personally, I am more inclined to take Dawkins' side in this debate. The gene-centered view of evolution has been supported by numerous studies and is a well-established concept in biology. It also makes sense from an evolutionary perspective, as genes are the units that are passed on from one generation to the next. Additionally, the idea of group selection has been heavily criticized by many biologists, who argue that it is difficult to distinguish between selection at the individual and group level.

However, I do think that there is some merit to Dyson's argument. Cooperation and altruistic behaviors can be beneficial for a group, and there are certainly examples of this in nature. But I believe that these behaviors can still be explained by the gene-centered view of evolution, as individuals with genes that promote cooperation and altruism are more likely to survive and reproduce within their group.

In the end, I think it's important to recognize that both Dawkins and Dyson have made valuable contributions to our understanding of evolution. While I may lean more towards Dawkins' perspective, I do believe that it's important to consider different viewpoints and continue to question and explore the mechanisms of evolution.

Related to Take your Side: Dawkins vs. Dyson Debate

1. What is the "Take your Side: Dawkins vs. Dyson Debate" about?

The debate is between two prominent scientists, Richard Dawkins and Freeman Dyson, and focuses on the topic of evolution and the role of natural selection in shaping biological diversity.

2. When and where did the debate take place?

The debate took place on March 30, 2013 at the Emmanuel Centre in London, UK. It was also live streamed online for a global audience.

3. Who won the debate?

The debate was not officially declared a winner, as it was meant to be a respectful and informative discussion rather than a competition. However, many viewers and attendees noted that both Dawkins and Dyson presented compelling arguments and made valid points.

4. What were the main arguments presented by Dawkins and Dyson?

Dawkins argued for the importance of natural selection as the driving force of evolution and the central role of genes in shaping biological diversity. Dyson, on the other hand, questioned the extent to which natural selection can explain the complexity and diversity of life and proposed alternative mechanisms such as symbiosis and horizontal gene transfer.

5. What was the overall impact of the debate?

The debate sparked discussions and debates among scientists and the general public, highlighting the ongoing scientific discourse and exploration of the mechanisms of evolution. It also showcased the importance of respectful and open-minded discussions in advancing scientific understanding.