Online help for calculation of estimate for renovation of interiors.

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on renovating their house and is looking for a website that can help them estimate the cost. They are considering doing the work themselves or hiring professional contractors. They also mention having friends who are professional tradesmen who can help them. They tried using a website for cost estimates but it was not helpful. They are open to any advice or tips for the renovation process.
leonardo07
General interiors of my house need a complete renovation regarding mirrored closet door & window casing, suspended acoustic ceilings, walls (i.e. insulation, vapour, barrier, drywall, tape) and retro fitment of central vacuum. Please suggest any website that caters online help in calculation of the estimate before I start the job. All advices and tips are welcome. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is something professional cost estimators get paid a lot of money to do [poorly].

Here is a set of books with data on all sorts of construction costs: http://www.rsmeans.com/

Thanks for this thread, and the replies. I'm facing more work than I care to think about getting my house fixed up. (Luckily, though, I have professional tradesmen friends who will work for beer.)

Well that website sucked for me. I clicked on my state, then doors, only to find out there are no doors in my state at all!

Unfortunately this type of information is VERY local in nature. The only way to get a real idea is to call in a (several) contractors and have them give you an estimate.

OR

Head for Home Depot and start pricing the items you want, then do it your self.

1. How accurate is the estimate for renovation of interiors?

The accuracy of the estimate depends on the information provided by the user. The more detailed and accurate the information, the more accurate the estimate will be. However, please keep in mind that the estimate is only a rough calculation and may not reflect the final cost.

2. What factors are considered in the calculation of the estimate?

The estimate takes into account various factors such as the size of the space, materials used, labor costs, and any additional services requested. It is important to provide as much information as possible to get a more accurate estimate.

3. Is the estimate inclusive of all costs?

The estimate includes the main costs for the renovation such as materials and labor. However, it may not include additional costs such as permits, taxes, or any unforeseen issues that may arise during the renovation process.

4. Can I make changes to the estimate after it is calculated?

Yes, you can make changes to the estimate by going back and adjusting the information provided. The estimate will be recalculated based on the new information.

5. How long is the estimate valid for?

The estimate is valid for a certain period of time, typically 30 days. After that, it may need to be recalculated due to market fluctuations or changes in material and labor costs.