Calculate Laser Pulse Intensity (Optics)

Peak Intensity = Peak Power/areaElectric Field = sqrt(2*Intensity/Z) where, Z = impedance of free space = 377 ohms In summary, for a laser pulse with a duration of 50 fs and an energy of 1 mJ, focused to an area of 50 micrometers square, the peak intensity can be calculated using the equations for average and peak power, and the peak electric field can be calculated using the equation for intensity and impedance of free space.
mecarey
A laser pulse has a duration of 50 fs (50E-15 s) and an energy of 1 mJ. The laser is focused to an area of 50 micrometers square. What is the peak intensity and peak electric field at the focus?

I previously tried to do this problem with normal intensity equations using

intensity = power / area
and
power = joules/second

but I got a ludicrous answer in the range of 10^20 watts/meter square. My professor told me that my answer is wrong because it is a laser PULSE, not just a laser. Any help? I'm not too sure where to go now and my Optics book doesn't seem to cover laser pulses.

Thanks in advance - Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Hope this will help

Av Power = E/T

Peak Power = E/t

Intensity = Av Power/area

where,

E = energy of the pulse (i.e.1 mJ)
T = 1/f (f is the freq of laser pulse)
t = Duration of the pulse
area = 50 micrometers square.

What is laser pulse intensity?

Laser pulse intensity is a measure of the concentration of energy in a laser beam. It is typically measured in watts per square centimeter (W/cm2) and can vary depending on the type of laser and the experimental setup.

How do you calculate laser pulse intensity?

The formula for calculating laser pulse intensity is I = P/A, where I is the intensity in W/cm2, P is the power of the laser in watts, and A is the cross-sectional area of the laser beam in square centimeters.

What factors affect laser pulse intensity?

The main factors that affect laser pulse intensity are the power of the laser, the duration of the pulse, and the beam diameter. Other factors that can influence intensity include the wavelength of the laser, the type of material the laser is passing through, and any optical components in the beam path.

How is laser pulse intensity measured?

Laser pulse intensity can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as power meters, photodiodes, and pyroelectric detectors. These devices typically use sensors that convert the energy of the laser beam into an electrical signal, which can then be used to calculate the intensity.

Why is calculating laser pulse intensity important?

Calculating laser pulse intensity is important in many applications, including laser material processing, laser surgery, and laser spectroscopy. It allows scientists and engineers to understand and control the effects of the laser on different materials and to optimize experimental conditions for specific purposes.