Calculating temperature change

In summary, The conversation discusses an interesting fact about air preheaters used in industrial boilers, stating that a 1% fuel savings can be achieved for every 40 F rise in combustion air temperature. The conversation then goes on to confirm the calculation for converting this to degrees Celsius, with the final result being 22.2 C. The expert summarizer does not provide any additional response or input.
Micko
Hello to all,

I'm reading one article about boiler. I have found one interesting fact about air preheater used in industrial boiler. It goes something like this "Approximately 1% of fuel is saved for each 40 F rise in combustion air temperature.

Now, since I'm in Europe, I want to know how much this is in deg Celsius.
Just want confirmation about this:
since Tc = 5*(Tf-32)/9, this will be Tc2 = 5*(Tf1+40-32)/9.
This will lead to: Tc2-Tc1 = 40/9 +160/9 = 200/9 = 22.2 C
Is this correct?

Science news on Phys.org
Yes, though since you are just doing delta-T's, you don't need to attach them to their respective scales to do the math. Just multiply or divide by the ratio: 40/1.8=22.2

OK, thanks

1. How do you calculate temperature change?

To calculate temperature change, you need to subtract the initial temperature from the final temperature. The formula is ΔT = Tf - Ti, where ΔT is the temperature change, Tf is the final temperature, and Ti is the initial temperature.

2. What units are used to measure temperature change?

The most commonly used units to measure temperature change are degrees Celsius (°C) and degrees Fahrenheit (°F). However, in scientific calculations, Kelvin (K) is often used as it is an absolute temperature scale.

3. How do you convert temperature change from Celsius to Fahrenheit?

To convert temperature change from Celsius to Fahrenheit, you can use the formula °F = (°C * 9/5) + 32. For example, if the temperature change is 10°C, it would be 18°F.

4. What factors can affect temperature change?

Some factors that can affect temperature change include the amount of energy transferred, the specific heat capacity of the material, the mass of the material, and the initial and final temperatures.

5. How do you use temperature change in scientific experiments?

Temperature change is often used in scientific experiments to measure the effects of certain variables on a material or system. By measuring the temperature change, scientists can determine how much energy is being transferred and how the material reacts to different conditions.