Understanding the Sign Flipping Rule for Cross Multiplication of Vectors

In summary, when performing cross multiplication, the order of the vectors matters and can result in a change in sign for certain terms. There is a rule that states AxB = -BxA, which can help determine which terms will change signs.
Neophyte

Homework Statement

^ ^ ^
i = i; j = j; k = k;

i = x j = y k = z
So this is the result after cross multiplication.

-2ij - 8ji = 6k

-ik + 4ki = 5j

-4jk +4kj = -8i

Unfortunately I am a little confused with the 5j
It seems to me that it would be

-ik + 4ki = -j -4j

because I comes first and so it would be -5j

I know this is not the case but it ruins the logic of the whole ordeal for me ; /. How are you supposed to know which sign you need to flip? I thought it was if it was ij you would leave it alone but if it was ji it would be -ji because order changed and i is multiplied first.

Physics news on Phys.org
Post your problem.
Cross multiplication of which vectors?

It is a . (b x c)
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7537/problemd.th.png

Basically if

a x b = (aybz - byaz)i + (azbx - bzax)j + (axby - bxay)k

I assumed that the second part was negative because a x b = -b x a
and so (aybz - byaz)i + (axby - bxay)k seemed alright but then the (azbx - bzax)j messed everything up for me because I thought it would be (axbz - bzax)j.
Then after that idea failed miserably I had no clue. I have memorized the end result at this point but I haven't a clue how to get there ; (

Last edited by a moderator:
Your a.(bxc) is correct.
-ik + 4ki = -j -4j
ixk = -j and kxi = j
so -(-j) + 4J = 5J

rl.bhat said:
Your a.(bxc) is correct.
-ik + 4ki = -j -4j
ixk = -j and kxi = j
so -(-j) + 4J = 5J

But what makes the ixk change signs as oppose to the kxi ?
I am missing how the kxi takes precedence over the ixk. Wouldn't it be the other way around?
You multiple the ixk first and i comes before k in equation :(.

Is there a rule to determine which flips?

Neophyte said:
But what makes the ixk change signs as oppose to the kxi ?
I am missing how the kxi takes precedence over the ixk. Wouldn't it be the other way around?
You multiple the ixk first and i comes before k in equation :(.

Is there a rule to determine which flips?
Yes.
AxB = - BxA

Related to Understanding the Sign Flipping Rule for Cross Multiplication of Vectors

What is a product of vectors (cross)?

A product of vectors (cross) is a mathematical operation that results in a new vector, perpendicular to the two original vectors. It is used to measure the amount of "twist" or "rotation" between two vectors.

How is the product of vectors (cross) calculated?

The product of vectors (cross) is calculated by taking the magnitude of the first vector, multiplying it by the magnitude of the second vector, and then multiplying it by the sine of the angle between the two vectors. This results in a new vector with a magnitude equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by the two original vectors.

What is the difference between a dot product and a product of vectors (cross)?

A dot product results in a scalar (a single number) while a product of vectors (cross) results in a vector. Additionally, a dot product measures the amount of "overlap" or "similarity" between two vectors, while a product of vectors (cross) measures the "twist" or "rotation" between them.

What are some real-world applications of the product of vectors (cross)?

The product of vectors (cross) has many applications in physics and engineering. It is used in mechanics to calculate the torque on a rotating object, in electromagnetism to calculate the magnetic force on a moving charged particle, and in fluid dynamics to calculate the vorticity of a fluid flow.

What is the geometric interpretation of the product of vectors (cross)?

The geometric interpretation of the product of vectors (cross) is that it results in a new vector that is perpendicular to the two original vectors. The direction of the new vector follows the right-hand rule, where the fingers of your right hand curl in the direction of the first vector, and then point in the direction of the second vector. The resulting vector is perpendicular to both of these vectors.