What do we mean by 'Equivalent Projective representation ?

In summary, equivalent projective representations refer to two representations of a group that are related by a unitary matrix and represent the same physical state in quantum mechanics. The SO(3) group has only two inequivalent projective representations, and "Geometry of quantum theory" by Varadarajan is a recommended resource for understanding this concept. Projective representations are defined as group homomorphisms to the projective general linear group, and are considered equivalent if they can be transformed by a unitary matrix.
S_klogW
What do we mean by 'Equivalent Projective representation"?

I know that we say two representations R and R' of a group G is equivalent if there exists a unitary matrix U such that URU^(-1)=R'.
But what do we mean by equivalent projective rerpesentations?
I've heard of the theorem that the SO(3) group has only 2 inequivalent projective representations. But what does that exactly mean?
I am very interested in projective representation because it's projective representation rather than ordinary representation that represents symmetry in Quantum Mechanics since the vector A and exp(id)A represent the same physical state.
So does anyone know if there are some books that can serve as an introduction to projective representations?

Physics news on Phys.org

Since you haven't received any replies, I will mention that "Geometry of quantum theory" by Varadarajan covers projective representations and their relevance to quantum mechanics. I hesitate to recommend it because I find it very hard to read, but I don't know a better option.

I've never done anything about projective representations before, so this post is just a guess. But it would make sense to define first

[tex]Z=\{cI_n~\vert~c\in \mathbb{R}\}[/tex]

Then we define a projective representation as a group homomorphism

[tex]\rho: G\rightarrow GL_n(\mathbb{R})/Z[/tex]

This last group is often called [itex]PGL_n(\mathbb{R})[/itex], or the projective general linear group.

Given, [itex]\rho,\rho^\prime[/itex] projective representations, it would make sense to define them equivalent if there exist [itex]U\in O_n(\mathbb{R})/Z[/itex] such that

[tex]\rho(g)=U\cdot \rho^\prime(g)\cdot U^{-1}[/tex]

for all [itex]g\in G[/itex].

The complex case is similar.

What is an Equivalent Projective representation?

An Equivalent Projective representation is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two or more objects or systems that have the same underlying structure or properties, but may appear different on the surface.

Why is Equivalent Projective representation important in science?

Equivalent Projective representation is important in science because it allows us to compare and understand different systems or objects by identifying their common underlying structure or properties. This can help us make predictions, draw conclusions, and develop theories that can be applied to a wide range of phenomena.

How is Equivalent Projective representation used in different scientific fields?

Equivalent Projective representation is used in various scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. In physics, it is used to describe the relationship between different physical laws or theories. In chemistry, it is used to understand the similarities and differences between chemical structures. In biology, it is used to compare different species and understand their evolutionary relationships.

What are some real-world examples of Equivalent Projective representation?

One example of Equivalent Projective representation is the relationship between different coordinate systems used in mathematics. Another example is the concept of isomorphism in chemistry, where two molecules may have different structures, but have the same chemical formula and properties.

How is Equivalent Projective representation different from other types of representations?

Equivalent Projective representation differs from other types of representations, such as isomorphism or homomorphism, in that it focuses on the underlying structure or properties of the objects or systems being compared, rather than their specific attributes or characteristics. It also allows for a more flexible and general comparison, rather than a strict one-to-one correspondence.