Light stikes metal surface; determine work function

In summary, the problem asks for the work function of a metal surface when struck by monochromatic light with a wavelength of 415 nm, resulting in photoelectrons with a kinetic energy of 95 kJ/mol. The equations provided are Φ = hc/λ, Φ = hfo, and hc/λ = wf + KE. After attempting to solve the problem using the last equation and converting the wavelength to 4.15e-7 m, the result is -95, which is incorrect. The correct answer is 95 kJ/mol, and the mistake may be due to accounting for a mole of electrons instead of a single electron.
bw1990

Homework Statement

Monochromatic light with a wavelength 415 nm strikes a metal surface. Photoelectrons escape with a kinetic energy of 95 kJ/mol. What is the work function (in kJ/mol, no decimals required) of the metal surface?

Homework Equations

I have found various equations online relating to work function, and I have tried most of the ones that seemed like they would work, but I am still at a loss as to which equation is correct, and if I am completing the problem correctly. Some of the equations I found are:

Φ = hc/λ, where h is Planck's constant.
Φ = hfo, where fo is the minimum frequency of a photon
hc/λ = wf + KE, where wf is work function and KE is kinetic energy

The Attempt at a Solution

All of my attempts at finding a solution have resulted in -95. I have no idea if this is correct, but my best guess at solving the problem was using the last equation because I had wavelength and kinetic energy. I converted the wavelength to 4.15e-7 m..divided hc by wavelength.. subtracted kinetic energy... still get -95.

Thanks in advance to any help =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep -95 KJ/mol is the right answer.

The logic behind it is:

The incident light has energy E = hf or E = h/wavelength

This energy is then transferred to an electron, in this case we are dealing with a mole of electrons so multiply the incident energy by avogadros number, because we will need a mole of incident photons to liberate a mole of electrons.

We now got the total incident energy of a mole of photons.

This energy is transferred to to a mole of electrons, some of the energy is used up in freeing the electrons from the surface, this energy is the work function.

Any left over energy becomes kinetic energy, so we can say:

Energy of 1 mole of incident photons = work function + Kinetic energy of 1 mole of liberated electrons

I have NEVER seen a negative work function! I guess the fact why you are going wrong is that you are accounting for a mole of electrons. If I'm not wrong you'll get the correct answer accounting for a single electron. That is if you deicide the given K.E by the Avagadro number

bw1990 said:
Φ = hc/λ, where h is Planck's constant.
Φ = hfo, where fo is the minimum frequency of a photon
hc/λ = wf + KE, where wf is work function and KE is kinetic energy
The first two equations apply to the case where KE=0. They allow you to solve for the cutoff frequency and wavelength. The third equation applies to the general case, and it's the one you need for this problem since you know if the incident light isn't at the cutoff wavelength.
All of my attempts at finding a solution have resulted in -95. I have no idea if this is correct, but my best guess at solving the problem was using the last equation because I had wavelength and kinetic energy. I converted the wavelength to 4.15e-7 m..divided hc by wavelength.. subtracted kinetic energy... still get -95.
-95 what? You need to show more details of your calculation for us to see where your mistake is. As thebiggerbang notes, you should not get a negative answer.

I would suggest that you continue to explore and try different equations to solve this problem. It is important to check your calculations to ensure that you are using the correct units and that your conversions are accurate. Additionally, make sure that you are using the correct values for Planck's constant and the speed of light. It is also important to note that the work function is always a positive value, so your answer of -95 kJ/mol is not correct. Keep trying different equations and double check your calculations to arrive at the correct answer. If you are still having trouble, I would recommend seeking assistance from a teacher or tutor. Good luck!

Related to Light stikes metal surface; determine work function

1. What is the work function of a metal surface?

The work function of a metal surface is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of the metal.

2. How does the intensity of light affect the work function?

The intensity of light does not directly affect the work function. However, increasing the intensity of light can result in more electrons being ejected from the surface, which can decrease the work function.

3. What factors can influence the work function of a metal surface?

The work function of a metal surface can be influenced by factors such as the type of metal, the temperature of the metal, and the presence of impurities on the surface.

4. How can the work function of a metal surface be measured?

The work function of a metal surface can be measured using various techniques, such as photoelectric effect experiments or Kelvin probe measurements.

5. Can the work function of a metal surface change?

Yes, the work function of a metal surface can change depending on external factors such as temperature, surface conditions, and the presence of electric fields.