Lifting a Box - Work and Power

In summary, the average power delivered by the person pulling on the rope in order to lift the 7-kg box from rest on the floor to a height of 1.5 m above the floor in 0.42 s is 670.25 W. This can be calculated using either the net force applied or the total energy expended approaches.
cowmoo32

Homework Statement

A 7-kg box is being lifted by means of a light rope that is threaded through a single, light, frictionless pulley that is attached to the ceiling. If the box is lifted, at constant acceleration, from rest on the floor to a height of 1.5 m above the floor in 0.42 s, what average power is delivered by the person pulling on the rope?

Homework Equations

(1) d = V0t + 0.5at2
(2) F=ma
(3) W = Fd
(4) P = W/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) a = 17m/sec2

(2)
F = 7*17
F = 119

(3)
W = 119*1.5
W = 178.5

(4)
P = 178.5/0.42
P = 425

Here's the thing, that answer agrees with the equation in the solution manual, but not on my homework. I'm reworking an old problem and I got it correct the first time around and can't figure out how I arrived at the answer, which is 0.67kW.

Physics news on Phys.org
cowmoo32 said:

Homework Statement

A 7-kg box is being lifted by means of a light rope that is threaded through a single, light, frictionless pulley that is attached to the ceiling. If the box is lifted, at constant acceleration, from rest on the floor to a height of 1.5 m above the floor in 0.42 s, what average power is delivered by the person pulling on the rope?

Homework Equations

(1) d = V0t + 0.5at2
(2) F=ma
(3) W = Fd
(4) P = W/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) a = 17m/sec2

(2)
F = 7*17
F = 119

(3)
W = 119*1.5
W = 178.5

(4)
P = 178.5/0.42
P = 425

Here's the thing, that answer agrees with the equation in the solution manual, but not on my homework. I'm reworking an old problem and I got it correct the first time around and can't figure out how I arrived at the answer, which is 0.67kW.

Method 1: Using Forces

119 N is the NET force that is applied to the object. Therefore the work you calculated is the NET work done on the object. However, in order to get this net force upward, the person has to apply this force PLUS the weight of the object. So he does more work than what you computed, because he or she also has to do work against gravity. The work done against gravity goes into increasing the object's potential energy, whereas the net work done by the net force goes into increasing its kinetic energy. Anyways:

Fnet = Fapplied + weight = Fapplied - mg

Fapplied = Fnet + mg = 119 N + (7 kg * 9.81 N/kg)

= 187.67 N

Wapplied = (187.67 N * 1.5 m) = 281.5 J

P = W/Δt = 281.5 N/0.42 s = 670.25 W

Method 2: Using Energies

This method is not really different mathematically, it's only different conceptually. The power is the rate at which energy is delivered by the person, so to find the average power, just take the total energy expended by the person, and divide it by the time interval. The total energy is the amount by which the energy of the object increases, which is the sum of its changes in potential and kinetic energies:

E = (1/2)mvf2 + mgh

vf2 = 2ad = 2*(17 m/s2)*(1.5 m) = 51 m2/s2

E = 0.5*(7 kg)*(51 m2/s2) + (7 kg)*(9.81 N/kg)*(1.5 m) = 281.5 J.

P = E/Δt = 670.25 W

Thanks!

1. What is work?

Work is defined as the force exerted on an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. In the context of lifting a box, work is the force needed to lift the box multiplied by the height the box is lifted.

2. What is power?

Power is the rate at which work is done. It is calculated by dividing the work done by the time it takes to do the work. In the context of lifting a box, power is the amount of work done to lift the box in a certain amount of time.

3. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F * d, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. In the context of lifting a box, this formula would be used to calculate the work needed to lift the box to a certain height.

4. How does the weight of the box affect the work and power needed to lift it?

The weight of the box directly affects the work and power needed to lift it. The heavier the box, the more force is needed to lift it, therefore increasing the amount of work and power required. This is because the force needed to lift an object is equal to its weight.

5. What are some factors that can affect the amount of work and power needed to lift a box?

Some factors that can affect the amount of work and power needed to lift a box include the weight of the box, the height it needs to be lifted to, the force applied, the distance the box needs to be moved, and the time it takes to lift the box. Additionally, factors such as the strength and technique of the person lifting the box can also affect the amount of work and power needed.