How i can find the magnification of a lens?

In summary, to find the magnification of a lens, you can use the formula M = SI / SO, where SI is the size of the image and SO is the size of the object. If you do not know the focal length, you can compare an original object and its image. The diameter of the lens does not affect the magnification or focal length.
josue2503
how i can find the magnification of a lens??

how i can find the magnification of a lens if i don't know it's focal length??

Science news on Phys.org
Just compare an original object and its (real or imaginary) image.

what is the formula in finding the magnification?

what is the formula in finding the magnification if i don't know the focal length?

magnification M is

M = SI / SO

where

SI is size of image
SO is size of object

if the lens is 4mm in diameter how i can find the magnification and focal length?

josue2503 said:
if the lens is 4mm in diameter how i can find the magnification and focal length?
magnification and focal length do NOT depend on diameter

josue2503 said:
That doesn't tell you anything you need to know to find the focal length.

1. What is magnification and why is it important?

Magnification is a measure of how much larger an object appears when viewed through a lens. It is important because it allows us to see small or distant objects more clearly, and it is a key factor in determining the quality and effectiveness of a lens.

2. How do I calculate the magnification of a lens?

To calculate the magnification of a lens, you will need to know the focal length of the lens and the distance between the object and the lens. The formula for magnification is magnification = image distance / object distance. The image distance is the distance between the lens and the projected image, while the object distance is the distance between the lens and the object being viewed.

3. Can the magnification of a lens be changed?

Yes, the magnification of a lens can be changed by adjusting the distance between the lens and the object being viewed. The closer the object is to the lens, the higher the magnification will be. Additionally, using different lenses or adjusting the focal length of the lens can also change the magnification.

4. How does the magnification of a lens affect the image quality?

The magnification of a lens can affect image quality in several ways. A higher magnification can make small details more visible, but it can also make the image appear more distorted or grainy. Additionally, a lens with a higher magnification may have a narrower field of view, making it more difficult to capture a wide scene.

5. Is there a maximum magnification that a lens can achieve?

Yes, there is a limit to the magnification that a lens can achieve. This is determined by the focal length of the lens and the distance between the lens and the object. If the object is too close to the lens, the image will become blurry and distorted. Additionally, some lenses have a maximum magnification specified by the manufacturer.