Grad School Advice: Applying to Physics Programs

In summary, the applicant has strong credentials, including a 3.86 GPA in physics graduate studies, as well as a law degree from a top 10 law school. They also have experience as a TA and have been slacking in their studies, which has resulted in a lower GRE score. Based on this information, the applicant appears to be competitive for programs in the second quartile of PhD-granting universities.
Alschum
Hey everyone,

So, here I am, going over my grad apps and making sure that I've got everything together. Want to make sure I'm not shooting too high or anything.

About me:

Undergrad: State School with unrecognized physics dept.
GPA: 3.76
PHYS: 3.86

GRE
VERBAL: 570
QUANT: 790
WRITING: 5.0
PHYSICS: 800 (retake)

Research: REU at Top 20 Physics Dept. (if rankings actually mean anything)

Other random info:
I'll have a law degree from a top 10 law school. I've been slacking, so my gpa is about a 3.0. In the meantime, I've taken a few grad physics classes here (really strong physics department) and have a Grad physics gpa of a 3.85.

Without getting into the details of my research interests, etc. (which are unrelated to my REU experience), if you were to judge how competitive my application will be, what would you say? What sorts of schools do you think I should be applying to?

Much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, the law degree, why? I don't know, it seemed like what I wanted to do at the time.

The missing key factor is your letters, particularly from your REU and graduate faculty. If you are at a Top 10 school now, and you are compared favorably to the grad students there, you could be looking at Top 10.

I don't think the law degree will matter one way or another.

The raw Physics GRE score is hard to judge by - the percentile is more useful. About 1/2-1/3 of the people who take the GRE are accepted, so that should let you know where you stand: e.g. the 85% percentile means that you are somewhere in the 55-70 percentile range among people admitted to grad schools, so you would be (based on that score alone) competitive for schools in the second quartile. There are just under 200 schools offering PhD's, so you'd be looking at rankings between 50 and 100.

I see, an 800 this year corresponded to the 74th. I should have a strong letter from my REU advisor and professors that knew me very well in undergrad, however I haven't had the opportunity to really get to know any of the faculty here. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking any of them for a letter of rec.

Oh, if it helps anyone, I also was a TA for 5 semesters and have pretty much guaranteed admission to a couple of programs in the 2nd quartile. However, My main concern is those programs in the 1st.

Sorry, read incorrectly. Barring anything unforeseen, I pretty much have solid offers from schools in the top 40 or so... I would just like to break into that top 20 range.

1. What is the best way to choose a graduate program in physics?

The best way to choose a graduate program in physics is to research and compare various programs based on factors such as faculty, research opportunities, funding, location, and reputation. It is also important to consider your specific interests and goals and find a program that aligns with them.

2. How important are GRE scores in the graduate school application process?

GRE scores are an important factor in the graduate school application process, but they are not the only factor. Many programs also consider undergraduate coursework, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. It is important to aim for a competitive GRE score, but it is not the only determining factor in admissions.

3. What can I do to make my application stand out?

To make your application stand out, you should focus on building a strong and well-rounded application. This includes having a high GPA, strong letters of recommendation, relevant research experience, and a well-written personal statement. It can also be beneficial to participate in extracurricular activities or pursue additional certifications or coursework related to your field of interest.

4. How can I secure funding for graduate school in physics?

Many graduate programs in physics offer funding opportunities such as teaching or research assistantships, fellowships, or scholarships. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early and to also consider external funding options such as government grants or private scholarships. You can also reach out to the financial aid office at your chosen program for more information on available funding.

5. Is it necessary to have a specific undergraduate degree to apply for a graduate program in physics?

While many graduate programs in physics require a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, it is not always necessary. Some programs may accept students with a background in engineering, mathematics, or other physical sciences. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in to determine if your undergraduate degree is suitable for their program.