Friction force calculation of syringe plunger

In summary, a user has signed up for a site after using it for many years. They are working on a project with a syringe mechanism and are trying to calculate the static friction of the rubber seal. They have measured the pull and push forces but are unsure of how to get the coefficient of friction from those numbers. After receiving help from others, they have figured out that they can use the actual forces measured without having to solve for the coefficient of friction.
ktm_rider
Hi all,

This is my first post here. I finally decided to sign up after using the site for many years.

I am working on a project involving a syringe mechanism. I am using a stock 6ml syringe. I'm trying to calculate the static friction of the rubber seal.

I have measured both the pull and push forces required to move the plunger, but am blanking on how to actually get the coefficient of friction from those numbers.

The pushing force is:0.625
The pulling force is: 0.677777778

Thank you for all the help!

Tyler

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you would have to know the force being applied to force the two surfaces together, not sliding back and forth over each other.

Hm, okay. Any suggestions on the best way to go about that?

Thank you

I think i figured it out.

After drawing out the free body diagram, I can use the actual forces i measured without having to solve for the coefficient of friction.

Thank you for your help Drakkith

Why do you need the coefficient if you have the friction force?

(edit: you figured it out while I was posting.)

What is friction force?

Friction force is the force that opposes the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities between the surfaces and can be affected by factors such as the type of material, surface roughness, and the amount of force applied.

How is friction force calculated?

To calculate friction force, you need to know the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. Then you can use the formula: Force of friction = Coefficient of friction x Normal force. The normal force is the force perpendicular to the surface that the object is resting on.

Why is friction force important in the calculation of syringe plunger movement?

In the context of a syringe, friction force is important because it affects the ease of movement of the plunger. Too much friction force can make it difficult to push the plunger, while too little friction force can cause the plunger to move too quickly, potentially leading to inaccurate dosages.

What factors can affect the friction force in a syringe plunger?

The friction force in a syringe plunger can be affected by the smoothness of the syringe barrel and plunger, the type of lubricant used, the viscosity of the liquid being injected, and the force applied to the plunger.

How can the calculation of friction force in a syringe plunger be improved?

To improve the accuracy of friction force calculation in a syringe plunger, factors such as the type of lubricant and the smoothness of the surfaces can be optimized. It is also important to use the correct formula and to consider all the factors that can affect friction force.