Calculating Friction Force for a Waterproof Seal in a Syringe Setup

In summary, the speaker is looking for help with determining the required force from a spring to move a rubber piece about three inches in order to create a waterproof seal. They are wondering if there is a way to calculate the force of friction in this scenario, but it is not possible as the coefficient of friction must be measured through experiments. However, they have found a paper that may be helpful and suggest preloading the spring to ensure the required force is generated throughout the travel.
Stephen0311
Hi Friends,

So I'll go into a bit of the setup that I'm having some trouble figuring out. I have a piece of rubber that will be pushing up against the side of a metal (or plastic) container to create a waterproof seal. The easiest way to think about this would be to imagine the rubber piece of a syringe that is pushed up and down. Basically I'm trying to determine the force I need from a spring to have that rubber interior move about three inches.

When I'm looking at the formulas for friction, all of them reference a coefficient of friction (but it's always a given in example problems). Is there a way to calculate the force of friction of the sliding waterproof seal I mentioned above?

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Edit: Sorry, you can't calculate the coefficient of friction. It is a quantity measured by experiment.

But I did find a paper that might help you. http://thescipub.com/PDF/ajassp.2005.626.632.pdf

Best bet is to measure the required force. You will need to preload the spring so it continues to generate the required force right to the end of the required travel. This means it will generate more force than needed at the start of the travel.

1. How do you calculate friction force in a waterproof syringe setup?

The friction force in a waterproof syringe setup can be calculated using the formula: F = μN, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The normal force can be calculated by multiplying the weight of the syringe by the cosine of the angle of incline.

2. What factors affect the friction force in a waterproof syringe setup?

The friction force in a waterproof syringe setup can be affected by several factors, including the coefficient of friction between the syringe and the seal, the angle of incline, and the weight of the syringe. Additionally, any external forces acting on the syringe, such as air resistance, can also affect the friction force.

3. How can you reduce friction force in a waterproof syringe setup?

To reduce friction force in a waterproof syringe setup, you can use lubricants on the seal and syringe to reduce the coefficient of friction. Additionally, reducing the weight of the syringe or decreasing the angle of incline can also help to decrease the friction force.

4. Why is it important to calculate friction force in a waterproof syringe setup?

Calculating friction force in a waterproof syringe setup is important because it helps to determine the amount of force needed to create a waterproof seal. It also allows for the selection of the most appropriate materials and design for the syringe setup to ensure efficient and effective operation.

5. Can friction force be eliminated in a waterproof syringe setup?

No, friction force cannot be completely eliminated in a waterproof syringe setup. However, it can be reduced through various methods such as lubrication and optimization of design and materials. A certain level of friction force is necessary for the proper functioning of the syringe setup.