10-year zero coupon rate, how to calculate x?

In summary, the conversation is about solving two equations for the variable 'x', one involving logarithms and the other involving exponents. The discussion includes using a scientific calculator and basic algebra techniques to isolate the variable and find the solution. The equations are related to financial engineering and the conversation is seeking help in understanding and solving them.
500o
Hi guys,

I'm trying to sort out the following formula, but just can't find out how to solve for 'x'.
Could you guys please help me out??

http://imageshack.us/a/img198/4850/screenshot20120917at725.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And I have another one, is there a quick way to solve this one using the log function of a simpele Casio Fx82ms calculator?

http://imageshack.us/a/img842/7760/screenshot20120917at731.png

The 'x' here is the interest rate and the 'e' mentioned here is the mathematical constant (or 2.71828).

I would really appreciate your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
500o said:
Hi guys,

I'm trying to sort out the following formula, but just can't find out how to solve for 'x'.
Could you guys please help me out??

http://imageshack.us/a/img198/4850/screenshot20120917at725.png

And I have another one, is there a quick way to solve this one using the log function of a simpele Casio Fx82ms calculator?

http://imageshack.us/a/img842/7760/screenshot20120917at731.png

The 'x' here is the interest rate and the 'e' mentioned here is the mathematical constant (or 2.71828).

I would really appreciate your help!

Is this homework?

No it's not, I'm trying to find out more about financial engineering. But it has been a while since I studied math at high school, haha.

I put the formulas in an online scientific calculator and then uploaded this on Imageschack to make sure you would understand the formulas.

Could anyone help me?

These are equations. You can add, subtract, multiply, or divide things on both sides of the equations to try to isolate the expressions containing [itex]x[/itex] and eventually solve for it.

For example, in the second equation, the obvious first thing to do is add 770 to both sides.

Thanks, I know how to subtract/multiplay/divide things and simplified the formula to:
http://imageshack.us/a/img209/4018/screenshot20120917at812.png

I still need to solve for 'x' now, how can I do that? The scientific calculator says the answer should be 0.0375 and I believe that's correct, but I still don't know how to get to that answer myself. I bought a 200usd book that is about financial engineering and has been put together by one of the professors of Kellogg School of Management, however it doesn't always explain the logic behind some of the formulas used, the book goes straight to the answers... haha, sorry to be a pain but any help is welcome!

You just need to undo the effect of raising to the 10th power. Raising to the one-tenth power would do that, just as squaring (raising to the 2nd power) is undone by a square root (raising to the 1/2 power).

Hmm thanks but could please denote your words with a formula like I did? That makes it easier for me to interpret (as my native language is Dutch...)

[tex](y^{10})^{1/10} = y[/tex]

Great, this helps! Thanks a million.

[tex]\frac{100}{(1+x)^{10}}= 69.20205[/tex]
[tex]\frac{(1+x)^{10}}{100}= \frac{1}{69.20205}= 0.01445044[/tex]
[tex](1+ x)^10= 1.4455044[/tex]
[tex]1+ x= \sqrt[10]{1.4455044}[/tex]
[tex]x= \sqrt[10]{1.4455044}- 1[/tex]
You can do the 10th root (if your calculator doesn't have a "[itex]\sqrt[y]{x}[/itex]" key) using logarithms: [itex]\sqrt[10]{x}= e^{ln(x)/10}[/itex]

[tex]-770+ 815e^{-x}= 0[/tex]
[tex]815e^{-x}= 770[/tex]
[tex]e^{-x}= \frac{770}{815}= 0.9447[/tex]
[tex]-x= ln(0.9447)[/tex]
[tex]x= -ln(0.9447)[/tex]
(since 0.9447 is less than 1, ln(0.9447) is negative so x will be positive.)

1. What is a 10-year zero coupon rate?

A 10-year zero coupon rate is the yield or return on a bond that does not pay interest but is sold at a discount and redeemed at its face value after 10 years.

2. How is the 10-year zero coupon rate determined?

The 10-year zero coupon rate is determined by calculating the present value of the bond's face value at maturity, using the current market price and the number of years left until maturity.

3. What is the formula for calculating the 10-year zero coupon rate?

The formula for calculating the 10-year zero coupon rate is: (Face Value / Current Market Price)^(1/Number of Years) - 1. This will give the annual rate, which can be multiplied by 10 to get the 10-year rate.

4. How do I use the 10-year zero coupon rate to estimate the future value of the bond?

The 10-year zero coupon rate can be used to estimate the future value of the bond by multiplying the face value by (1 + 10-year rate)^(Number of Years). This will give the future value of the bond after 10 years.

5. What factors can affect the 10-year zero coupon rate?

The 10-year zero coupon rate can be affected by changes in interest rates, inflation, credit ratings, and market conditions. It is also influenced by the bond issuer's creditworthiness, as well as the bond's maturity, liquidity, and supply and demand in the market.