Why is this false? - Short Fitch proof using Herbrand logic

In summary, The person is seeking help understanding a statement in a formal logic class. The statement in question is about whether { p(a), p(b), p(f(a)), p(f(b)) } entails ∀x.p(x), which they initially marked as true but were told is false. They realize they may be misunderstanding the use of the ⊢Fitch system and the provable operator in this context. They also mention being able to prove ∀x.p(x) using only p(a) as a premise, but are corrected and told that Universal Introduction does not work that way in this case. They are then asked to clarify their next response to be more helpful.
AmagicalFishy
Hello, folks.

I'm taking my first formal logic class and some of the things seem contradictory; I know it's because I'm not fully understanding something, but I don't know what I'm not fully understanding—I hope someone can help me. The problem begins:

Problem said:
Let L2 be the language consisting of object constants a, b, a unary function constant f, and unary relation constants p, q.
For each of the following statements, state whether it is true or false under the language L2.

The statement I'm having trouble with is...

{ p(a), p(b), p(f(a)), p(f(b)) }⊢Fitch∀x.p(x)

... which I marked true. I'm able to prove that ∀x.p(x) while using only p(a) as a premise, even. The answer is false, and I'm told "p may not hold for terms like f(f(a)), f(f(b)), and so forth." But how could it not? Why would p(f(f(a))) not hold if ∀x.p(x)?

What I think of as I finish typing this that I'm misunderstanding what ⊢Fitch really means, which is "Prove using the Fitch system and no aspects of Herbrand logic." The only way to prove ∀x.p(x) is by using Universal Introduction and Elimination—which... is not encompassed by the provable operator ⊢Fitch?

Physics news on Phys.org
... is it because we can't (yet) explicitly prove the infinite possibilities presented by the infinitely-nesting function constants?

AmagicalFishy said:
I'm able to prove that ∀x.p(x) while using only p(a) as a premise, even.
No, you're not.

PA.jpg

... ?
Unless you mean I can't prove it within L2, in which case I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to why—it'd be the same thing. Perhaps there's some implication intrinsic in the conclusion that I've yet to learn about.

Could you be... um... helpful when you next respond?

Universal Introduction doesn't work that way. Why on Earth would it follow from the fact that, say, P holds for the number 37 that P holds for all x? a and b are constants, not variables.

1. Why is this false?

This question is asking for the reason why a statement or argument is considered false. It could be because the evidence or reasoning used to support it is flawed, or it goes against established facts or principles.

2. What is a Short Fitch proof?

A Short Fitch proof is a method used in logic to demonstrate the validity of an argument. It involves breaking down an argument into smaller steps and using logical rules and symbols to show how each step leads to the conclusion.

3. What is Herbrand logic?

Herbrand logic is a formal system of mathematical logic developed by Jacques Herbrand in the early 20th century. It is based on first-order logic and uses a set of logical symbols and rules to represent and manipulate statements and arguments.

4. How is Herbrand logic used in a Fitch proof?

In a Fitch proof, Herbrand logic is used to represent and manipulate statements and arguments using logical symbols and rules. It allows for the structure and validity of an argument to be analyzed and demonstrated through a series of steps.

5. What is the purpose of using a Short Fitch proof in Herbrand logic?

The purpose of using a Short Fitch proof in Herbrand logic is to demonstrate the validity of a statement or argument. By breaking down the argument into smaller steps and using logical rules and symbols, it allows for a clear and concise presentation of the reasoning behind the argument.