Hadron Spectroscopy: Eberhard Klempt & Diquarks

• Thread starter arivero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lectures
In summary, the current understanding of scalar diquarks is that they are spin and flavour antisymmetric, but that they can be made into Q=2/3 diquarks when families are mixed. The hope is that this will exclude the Q=4/3 diquarks.
arivero
Gold Member
Any recommendation? I have found this one very spectacular:

hep-ph/0404270
Eberhard Klempt
Glueballs, Hybrids, Pentaquarks : Introduction to Hadron Spectroscopy and Review of Selected Topics

Myself I am having some interest on diquarks but from a peculiar point of view about family symmetry. Usually scalar diquarks are pictured as antisymmetric both in spin and flavour. But if you separate flavour into isospin plus family the situation is more complicated, and becomes worse if you want consider weak isospin, which is chiral. My hope/conjecture for the outcome is that Q=4/3 scalar diquarks are still forbidden, but Q=2/3 become allowed. The current view only allows for Q=2/3 scalar diquarks when families are mixed, for instance (ds), but not (dd).

Physics news on Phys.org
arivero said:
Myself I am having some interest on diquarks but from a peculiar point of view about family symmetry. Usually scalar diquarks are pictured as antisymmetric both in spin and flavour. But if you separate flavour into isospin plus family the situation is more complicated, and becomes worse if you want consider weak isospin, which is chiral. My hope/conjecture for the outcome is that Q=4/3 scalar diquarks are still forbidden, but Q=2/3 become allowed. The current view only allows for Q=2/3 scalar diquarks when families are mixed, for instance (ds), but not (dd).
I don't have time to read Klemt, but will address your question.
Just as (ds) is an allowed scalar diquark, so is (cu) with Q=4/3.
I can understand your hope, but it does not seem like a reasonable conjecture.

Meir Achuz said:
Just as (ds) is an allowed scalar diquark, so is (cu) with Q=4/3.
I can understand your hope, but it does not seem like a reasonable conjecture.

Well the first idea was to separate flavour in a family times a (weak?) isospin symmetry. For the sake of discussion, asume weak isospin is vectorial. Symmetrisation of spin times isospin should now disallow both ds and cu. But we know that the Up quarks have a symmetry structure different from the down family: the top is very masive. So it could be that considering the triple product of spin times isospin times family the scalar uu, uc, cc where still forbidden but the scalars dd ds ss etc were allowed.

this is we have the UU diquarks should be spin antisymmetric, isospin antisymmetric and family symmetric, while the DD diquarks should be spin antisymmetric, isospin symmetric and family antisymmetric.

If the family trick can not work, I could then think about an extra quantum number for the down quarks. What I want, in any case, is to rule out exclusively the Q=4/3 diquarks.

The idea comes from that previous observation I did last year, that in this case we get at the end six scalars for each charge and we can carry them in N=1 susymultiplets with the previous quarks, as these sets would coincide both in electric charge, colour charge, and degrees of freedom.

Last edited:

1. What is Hadron Spectroscopy?

Hadron Spectroscopy is a branch of particle physics that studies the properties and behavior of hadrons, which are composite particles made up of quarks and gluons. It focuses on understanding the structure and interactions of hadrons, such as protons and neutrons, through experimental measurements and theoretical models.

2. Who is Eberhard Klempt?

Eberhard Klempt is a German physicist who has made significant contributions to the field of Hadron Spectroscopy. He is known for his work on the classification and properties of hadrons, including the discovery of several new mesons and baryons. He is also a leading expert on the concept of diquarks, which are bound states of two quarks within a hadron.

3. What are diquarks?

Diquarks are hypothetical particles composed of two quarks that are bound together within a hadron. They were first proposed by Eberhard Klempt in the 1960s as a way to explain certain patterns in the properties of hadrons. Diquarks are important in the study of hadron spectroscopy as they can provide insights into the internal structure and interactions of hadrons.

4. How is Hadron Spectroscopy studied?

Hadron Spectroscopy is studied through a combination of experimental and theoretical methods. Scientists use particle accelerators to produce and study various types of hadrons, and detectors to measure their properties. Theoretical models, such as the quark model and quantum chromodynamics, are used to interpret the experimental data and make predictions about the behavior of hadrons.

5. What are the practical applications of Hadron Spectroscopy?

Hadron Spectroscopy has several practical applications in fields such as nuclear physics, particle physics, and astrophysics. It provides insights into the fundamental building blocks of matter and helps us understand the strong force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature. It also has applications in developing new technologies, such as medical imaging techniques and advanced materials. Additionally, the study of hadron spectroscopy has implications for understanding the origins and evolution of the universe.