Momentum Problem on Motion sensor

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of motion and force sensors to record the motion of a cart on a track. The sensors record values that are used to determine the cart's average acceleration, the change in its momentum during a collision, its mass, and the energy lost in the collision. However, without seeing the graphs, it is difficult to provide a complete solution.
susie__

Homework Statement

2001 M1
A motion sensor and a force sensor record the motion of a cart along a track, as shown above. The cart is given a push so that it moves toward the force sensor and then collides with it. The two sensors record the values shown in the following graphs.
a. Determine the cart's average acceleration between t = 0.33 s and t = 0.37 s.
b. Determine the magnitude of the change in the cart's momentum during the collision.
c. Determine the mass of the cart.
d. Determine the energy lost in the collision between the force sensor and the cart

Homework Equations

u4l2b5.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Average Acceleration = delta v /delta t
=.092 m/s^2

b) I'm stuck here

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think we'll be able to help without seeing the graphs! Could you post them?

because I don't have the values for the force sensor graph. Without that information, I cannot determine the change in momentum.

c) Mass = m = F/a
= 5 N / .092 m/s^2
= 54.35 kg

d) Again, without the values for the force sensor graph, I cannot determine the energy lost in the collision. The force sensor graph would provide information on the force applied during the collision, which is necessary to calculate the energy lost.

1. What is momentum in terms of motion?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, specifically its mass multiplied by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v). The formula for momentum is p = mv.

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event. This means that momentum is conserved and cannot be created or destroyed.

4. How does a motion sensor measure momentum?

A motion sensor measures momentum by detecting changes in an object's position over time. It uses this information to calculate the object's velocity and mass, and then determines the object's momentum using the formula p = mv.

5. How can momentum be used to analyze collisions?

Momentum can be used to analyze collisions by applying the law of conservation of momentum. By measuring the momentum of the objects before and after a collision, we can determine the direction and speed of the objects after the collision and infer the type of collision that occurred (elastic or inelastic).