Reaction forces at pin joint on a frame

In summary, the conversation is about finding the reaction forces at the pin joint on the right side of a structure. The person has attempted to use the sum of moments and forces equal to 0, but is stuck and needs help setting up the necessary equations. It is mentioned that there would not be a unique solution and that considering force balances on parts of the frame that are only pinned to each other may bring in more unknowns for the internal forces. More equations are needed to solve for all the unknowns.
cs003

Homework Statement

Basically, I am looking to find the reaction forces at the pin joint on the right side of the structure. I just realized it is not labeled on my diagram, but it is the pin on the link opposite of E. Where the 13 degree angle is measured from.

Homework Equations

I have tried to use the sum of the moments and forces equal to 0, but I am stuck and not sure what to do to solve for the unknowns I need.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution is attached. If anyone could help me just set up the equations I would need to find the reaction forces at the pin at the right end of the structure that would be great.

Thanks!

Attachments

• scan002.pdf
    70.6 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations all apply to the parallelogram frame as a whole. That means it might as well be a rigid 2D object, in which case there would only be three independent equations available. Indeed, there would not be a unique solution.
After your first three equations, to make progress you need to consider force balances on parts of the frame that are only pinned to each other. That may bring in more unknowns for the internal forces. Keep going until you have as many equations as unknowns.

1. What is a pin joint on a frame?

A pin joint is a type of connection between two members of a frame that allows for rotational movement but restricts translation. It consists of a pin or hinge that allows the two members to pivot around a common axis.

2. What are reaction forces at a pin joint?

Reaction forces at a pin joint refer to the forces that are generated in response to an external load applied to the frame. These forces act perpendicular to the pin joint and are necessary to maintain the equilibrium of the frame.

3. How do you calculate reaction forces at a pin joint?

The reaction forces at a pin joint can be calculated using Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the reaction forces at a pin joint will be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the external loads applied to the frame.

4. What factors affect the reaction forces at a pin joint?

The reaction forces at a pin joint are affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the external loads, the geometry of the frame, and the stiffness of the pin joint. Additionally, any applied moments or rotational forces can also impact the reaction forces at the pin joint.

5. How do reaction forces at a pin joint affect the stability of a frame?

The reaction forces at a pin joint play a crucial role in maintaining the stability of a frame. If these forces are not properly balanced, the frame may experience excessive bending or rotation, which can lead to failure. Therefore, it is important to accurately calculate and consider these forces when designing a frame to ensure its stability.