What is exactly pivoting ( in Gaussian elimination)?

In summary: No. A code is a set of instructions for a computer. It could be in any language, but more commonly it is in a computer language such as Java, C++, or Python. No. A code is a set of instructions for a computer. It could be in any language, but more commonly it is in a computer language such as Java, C++, or Python.
XodoX
In terms of programming. Like, let's say you have F1+F2+F3+15=0 and you move the 15 to the other side, just as you're supposed to, which would be F1+F2+F3= -15. Is that what they mean by pivoting? The code moves the 15?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No. The "pivot" is a single entry in a row of a matrix. "Pivoting" refers to a process involving several steps. The row is divided by the value of the pivot to turn the pivot into 1. Then all the entries in the column of the pivot and directly below it are turned into zeroes by subtracting some multiple of the pivot's row from them.

If you're planning to write a serious program to solve linear equations, you should consult a text on numerical methods. The better numerical algorithms do not simply march down the main diagonal using each entry as a pivot.

Stephen Tashi said:
No. The "pivot" is a single entry in a row of a matrix. "Pivoting" refers to a process involving several steps. The row is divided by the value of the pivot to turn the pivot into 1. Then all the entries in the column of the pivot and directly below it are turned into zeroes by subtracting some multiple of the pivot's row from them.

If you're planning to write a serious program to solve linear equations, you should consult a text on numerical methods. The better numerical algorithms do not simply march down the main diagonal using each entry as a pivot.
Thanks. How would I call it then - to get each equation into the right format? I don't know how to program this, but I need it for reference for Gaussian elimination systems. It owuld be a nice tool to have. But usually they don't format the equations - at least the ones I could find online.

How would I call it then - to get each equation into the right format?

What do you mean by "it"? Do you mean the example, you gave? What you did (as best I can determine) is not a process that has a distinctive name. You transformed the equation into one that has no constant on the left hand side.

I need it for reference for Gaussian elimination systems.

I can't tell whether you are merely interested in terminology for something or whether you want to know how to write a computer program to do Gaussian elimination.

Stephen Tashi said:
What do you mean by "it"? Do you mean the example, you gave? What you did (as best I can determine) is not a process that has a distinctive name. You transformed the equation into one that has no constant on the left hand side.

I can't tell whether you are merely interested in terminology for something or whether you want to know how to write a computer program to do Gaussian elimination.

I'd like to have a program for my Gaussian elimination equations, but the codes I found won't do F1+F2+F3+10=0 since the 10, in this case, has to be moved over to the right. I was wondering if someone knew where to get a code like this. I want to try it out.

You shouldn't make up terminology like "Gaussian elimination systems" and "Gaussian elimination equations" without explaining what you mean.

I think what you're trying to say is that you would like a computer program that will solve a systems of equations by using Gaussian elimination. That still leaves questions unanswered.

You say you want "a code". Does this mean source code? If so, what computer language would you want this code to be in? Or do you want a program with a graphical interface where you can enter the equations and see the Gaussian elimination done step by step? Are you mainly interested in solving the equations or mainly interested in Gaussian elimination? (As I mentioned before, Gaussian elimination is usually not the best way to solve systems of equations. )

What is pivoting in Gaussian elimination?

Pivoting in Gaussian elimination is a technique used to avoid division by zero and to improve the numerical stability of the solution. It involves selecting a pivot element in each row of a matrix and using it to eliminate the other elements in that column.

Why is pivoting important in Gaussian elimination?

Pivoting is important in Gaussian elimination because it helps to avoid errors and inaccuracies that can arise due to division by zero or round-off errors. It also ensures that the solution obtained is more accurate and stable.

How does pivoting affect the efficiency of Gaussian elimination?

Pivoting can affect the efficiency of Gaussian elimination by increasing the number of operations required to solve the system of equations. However, it can also improve the accuracy and stability of the solution, which may ultimately lead to faster convergence.

What are the different types of pivoting in Gaussian elimination?

The two main types of pivoting in Gaussian elimination are partial pivoting and complete pivoting. Partial pivoting involves selecting the largest element in each column as the pivot, while complete pivoting involves selecting the largest element in the entire matrix as the pivot.

Is pivoting always necessary in Gaussian elimination?

No, pivoting is not always necessary in Gaussian elimination. In some cases, the matrix may already be well-conditioned and pivoting may not be needed. However, it is generally recommended to use pivoting to ensure a more accurate and stable solution.