Gaussian Elimination of Singular Matrix with partial pivoting

In summary: This also explains why Gauss Elimination with partial pivoting fails for this matrix - the presence of a free variable means that small changes in the input can lead to infinitely many solutions, making it impossible to find a unique solution. In summary, the matrix is singular and has a determinant of 0, making it impossible to find an inverse. This also leads to a finite condition number and the failure of Gauss Elimination with partial pivoting due to the presence of a free variable.
ver_mathstats
Homework Statement
Given the matrix A=[0.1 0.3 0.7; 0.3 0.6 0.9; 0.6 1.5 3] and b=[1.4; 1.8; 6] Part A: Show that A is singular.

Part B: Using exact arithmetic show where Gaussian elimination with partial pivoting fails to solve this system.

Part C: Although A is singular, cond(A) does not return Inf. Why?
Relevant Equations
A=[0.1 0.3 0.7; 0.3 0.6 0.9; 0.6 1.5 3] and b=[1.4; 1.8; 6]
Part (A): The matrix is a singular matrix because the determinant is 0 with my calculator.

Part (B): Once I perform Gauss Elimination with my pivot being 0.6 I arrive at the last row of matrix entries which are just 0's. So would this be why Gauss Elimination for partial pivoting fails for this matrix in particular? Because I now have a free variable with an infinite amount of solutions?

Part (C): This one I am confused because I know that if a matrix is singular it tends to inf. I also know that cond(A)=||A|| ||A-1||, but the matrix does not have an inverse matrix, so I am really confused why inf is not showing up. On MATLAB I get the value that cond(A)=3.6114e+16 and the determinant is 2.4980e-18 on matlab, so I suppose that is enough for the cond(A) not to be inf. Is this enough of a reason?

Any help would be appreicated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the fact that the matrix does not have an inverse is enough to explain why the condition number of A is not infinite. The condition number of A measures how sensitively the output of a system of equations changes with small changes in the inputs. If the matrix had an inverse, then small changes in the input would lead to drastic changes in the output, resulting in an infinite condition number. Since the matrix does not have an inverse, small changes in the input do not necessarily lead to large changes in the output, so the condition number is finite.

What is Gaussian Elimination of Singular Matrix with partial pivoting?

Gaussian Elimination of Singular Matrix with partial pivoting is a numerical method used to solve systems of linear equations. It involves transforming the system into an equivalent upper triangular system, making it easier to solve for the unknown variables.

Why is partial pivoting necessary in Gaussian Elimination of Singular Matrix?

Partial pivoting is necessary in Gaussian Elimination of Singular Matrix because it helps to avoid division by zero and reduces the error in the final solution. It also ensures that the largest possible element is used as the pivot, making the algorithm more stable.

How does Gaussian Elimination of Singular Matrix with partial pivoting handle singular matrices?

Gaussian Elimination of Singular Matrix with partial pivoting handles singular matrices by swapping rows to ensure that the pivot element is non-zero. This helps to avoid division by zero and allows the algorithm to continue without errors.

What are the advantages of using Gaussian Elimination of Singular Matrix with partial pivoting?

The advantages of using Gaussian Elimination of Singular Matrix with partial pivoting include increased stability and accuracy of the solution, as well as the ability to handle singular matrices. It is also a relatively simple and efficient method for solving systems of linear equations.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Gaussian Elimination of Singular Matrix with partial pivoting?

One limitation of Gaussian Elimination of Singular Matrix with partial pivoting is that it can be computationally expensive for large systems of equations. Additionally, if the matrix is ill-conditioned, the algorithm may produce inaccurate results. It also cannot be used for non-linear systems of equations.