Chemical reactions and stoichiometry

In summary, The conversation discusses the stoichiometric calculations for the reaction between sulfur and chlorine to produce disulfur dichloride. The given equation and the molar mass of the product are used to determine the number of moles of reactants and products produced. The conversation also includes a step-by-step explanation of the calculations and confirms the correctness of the final result.
lorka150
hello, i hope someone can help me.
i have a few questions.

The elements sulfur and chlorine react to give disulfur dichloride according to the equation:

S8 + 4Cl2 --> 4S2Cl2.
There are 0.5987 mol S8.

a) How many moles of Cl2 are needed for complete reaction?
b) What mass of S2Cl2 in grams can be produced? The molar mass of thi sis 135.0374 g/mol.

Can someone walk me through it ? Lost!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well think about it. The reaction shows you the molar ratios for one complete reaction, that should give you the first bit

for the second bit you do the same thing but find the number of moles of products produced from your amount of reactants then using the molar mass find the mass of product produced

for a)
Would it be 0.5987 mols of S8 x 4 moles Cl2/1 mole S8 = 2.3978 mole of Cl2?

for b)
2.3948 moles of S2Cl2 x 4S2Cl2/4Cl2 = 2.3948 moles S2Cl2

2.3948 moles of S2Cl2 x 135.0374 g/mol = 323.39g?

I hope this is right, thanks for the reply.

the calculations look correct

thank you very much!

1. What is a chemical reaction?

A chemical reaction is a process in which one or more substances are transformed into new substances with different chemical and physical properties.

2. What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is the calculation of the quantities of reactants and products involved in a chemical reaction based on the principles of conservation of mass and the mole concept.

3. How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you must ensure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of that element on the product side. This is done by adjusting the coefficients in front of each molecule.

4. What is a limiting reactant?

A limiting reactant is the substance that is completely consumed in a chemical reaction, thereby limiting the amount of product that can be formed.

5. How do you calculate the percent yield of a reaction?

The percent yield of a reaction is calculated by dividing the actual yield (the amount of product that is obtained in an experiment) by the theoretical yield (the amount of product that should be obtained according to stoichiometric calculations) and multiplying by 100%.