Chemistry redox reaction - gases mixing

In summary, to react Cl2 with NaI to form IO3- and Cl-, 18.5 mL of gas are needed. This is done by measuring the Cl2 gas at 28.0 °C and 750 torr. The molar mass of NaI is .0030906 mol, so 3 moles of Cl2 are needed for every 1 mol of NaI.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

How many milliliters of Cl2 gas, measured at 28.0 °C and 750 torr, are needed to react with 18.5 mL of 0.173 M NaI if the I- is oxidized to IO3- and the Cl2 is reduced to Cl-?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So the molar mass is .0030906 mol NaI. Now I need to find out how many moles of Cl2 are needed to react completely with that.
So I need the balanced chemical equation.

Cl2 + NaI --> IO3- + Cl-

Redox:

2e- + Cl2 --> 2Cl-

NaI --> IO3- + Na+

This is where I get stuck.
I can't balance NaI as a redox reaction because I don't know the charges on that side. How do I balance the second part of the reaction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is 3Cl2 + NaI + 3H2O --> IO3- + Na+ + 6H+ + 6Cl-

the correct balanced reaction?

Feodalherren said:
Is 3Cl2 + NaI + 3H2O --> IO3- + Na+ + 6H+ + 6Cl-

the correct balanced reaction?

Technically - yes. But why don't you treat NaI as a dissociated salt (Na++I-), it is dissolved, isn't it?

Likes 1 person
Ahh that's what was confusing me. I got the rest of it, thanks.

?

Feodalherren said:
Ahh that's what was confusing me. I got the rest of it, thanks.

what was the solution, I am stumped

So after you have the Redox reaction you have your ratio which is that for every 1 mol of NaI you have 3 moles of Cl2.

You know that you have 18.5 mL of 0.173 M NaI so therefore

.0185 L (.173 mol NaI/L) = moles of NaI.

Now multiply that by three to get the moles of Cl2 because as shown from the balanced chemical equation - you need 3 moles of Cl2 for every 1 mol of NaI.

From there you have

PV=nRT

Make sure to convert P to atm and T to Kelvin. n Is the amount of moles of Cl2 - solve for V. Done.

Edit: oh yeah - convert to mL since that's what the question was asking for.

1. What is a redox reaction in chemistry?

A redox reaction, also known as an oxidation-reduction reaction, is a chemical reaction in which there is a transfer of electrons between two substances. One substance is oxidized, or loses electrons, while the other substance is reduced, or gains electrons. This transfer of electrons results in a change in the oxidation states of the substances involved and the formation of new chemical compounds.

2. How do you identify a redox reaction?

A redox reaction can be identified by the change in oxidation states of the substances involved. The substance that is oxidized will have a higher oxidation state in the product than in the reactant, while the substance that is reduced will have a lower oxidation state in the product than in the reactant. Additionally, there will be a transfer of electrons from one substance to another, which can be observed through the use of a half-reaction or by tracking the changes in the number of valence electrons.

3. What are the different types of redox reactions?

There are two main types of redox reactions: oxidation and reduction. In an oxidation reaction, a substance loses electrons and increases in oxidation state, while in a reduction reaction, a substance gains electrons and decreases in oxidation state. Redox reactions can also be classified as combination, decomposition, displacement, or combustion reactions, depending on the specific chemical process that is occurring.

4. How do gases mix during a redox reaction?

Gases can mix during a redox reaction through a process called diffusion. Diffusion is the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. In a redox reaction, the gases involved will diffuse and mix together as the reaction progresses, resulting in a homogenous mixture of gases.

5. What role do catalysts play in redox reactions involving gases?

Catalysts can play a significant role in redox reactions involving gases. A catalyst is a substance that speeds up the rate of a chemical reaction without being consumed in the process. In redox reactions, a catalyst can provide an alternative pathway for the reaction to occur, lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to take place. This can result in a faster and more efficient reaction, especially in the case of gases mixing during a redox reaction.