Projectile Motion Question - Clearing a Wall

In summary: You can do that by solving the first equation for t and plugging that into the second equation, giving you an equation relating y and x. If you rearrange the terms, you will have a quadratic equation of the form Ay^2 + By + C = 0. You can then apply the quadratic formula to solve for y as a function of x. If you are able to calculate a table of X and Y values, can you not also calculate the Y value for a given X, namely for X = horizontal wall distance.In summary, the problem can be solved by eliminating time and using the equations for horizontal and vertical movement to find an equation relating the height of the projectile with its horizontal distance traveled. This
Vyl

Homework Statement

Among many other things, determine if a projectile will clear a wall. I am attempting to make a program to respond with a 'yes' or 'no'. So this is not a specific question, it is more of a general "how is this solved?" question.

The known values are initial height, initial angle, and initial velocity.

The outputs are the maximum height, time, and distance, which I have calculated and outputted correctly using equations in the textbook.

So my basic question is, I need to figure out that given a distance from a wall and height of the wall, will the projectile clear it?

Homework Equations

dMaxHeight = dInitialHeight + (dInitialVelocity * dInitialVelocity * sin(dInitialAngle) * sin(dInitialAngle)) / (2 * dGravitationalAcceleration);

dMaxTime = (dInitialVelocity * sin(dInitialAngle)) / dGravitationalAcceleration + sqrt((2 * dMaxHeight) / dGravitationalAcceleration);

dMaxDistance = dInitialVelocity * dMaxTime * cos(dInitialAngle);

I believe that these equations are correct as I have checked them with the Java simulations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've sketched out the parabola and the wall, and the only thing that I can think of is to make a chart of the x and y values of the traveling object as time progresses, and test them with the height and y-coordinate of the wall. Is this even close to being correct? I hope I'm being clear of what I'm trying to figure out.

Thanks very much for your help!

- Vyl

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I believe your attempt is on the right track. Find Height as a function of horizontal distance, evaluate height at the place where the wall is, see if the height is greater than the height of the wall.

Problem Solved

nicktacik said:
Yes, I believe your attempt is on the right track. Find Height as a function of horizontal distance, evaluate height at the place where the wall is, see if the height is greater than the height of the wall.

Thank you for the reply!

I believe that I have figured it out -- I did exactly as you said. Thanks for the help!

- Vyl

A Little More Help

nicktacik said:

Hi,

Well ... I was able to get a working model (I think it works) in C++, but for some reason I can't get the Excel spreadsheet to work properly. May I have a little more clarification please? I created a table of X and Y values for the entire length of time that the projectile is in the air. What I don't know how to do is find if (and where) the wall will meet the projectile path.

How do I evaulate height at the place where the wall is? For my sample data, I know that the wall is 4 meters out and 4 meters high (this data should make the projectile collide). Should I run through my X and Y values, and when I hit 4 in the X side of the table, look at the cooresponding Y value, and compare it with the height of the wall? That sounds like it would work ... I'm not sure how to implement it in Excel though.

Any hints or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!

- Vyl

If you are able to calculate a table of X and Y values, can you not also calculate the Y value for a given X, namely for X = horizontal wall distance.

If you are depending on time, you need to do as nicktacik says and eliminate time, finding an equation relating height of the projectile with its horizontal distance traveled.

Because the horizontal velocity stays the same, the equation for horizontal distance (x) traveled is:

[tex]x = v_0\cos\theta \cdot t[/tex]

where v0 is the initial velocity, [tex]\theta[/tex] is the launch angle, and t is the time.

For the vertical movement, you use the constant acceleration equations with g = -9.81 m/s^2 for your acceleration:

[tex]y = y_0 + v_0\sin\theta \cdot t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

Now, all you need to do is eliminate t.

Last edited:

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity and air resistance.

2. How do you calculate the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The factors that affect the trajectory of a projectile include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the mass and shape of the object.

4. Can a projectile clear a wall?

Yes, a projectile can clear a wall if it has enough initial velocity and is launched at the correct angle. The height and distance of the wall also play a role in determining if the projectile will clear it.

5. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance can affect the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and reducing its range. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, causing it to lose speed and height.