Explaining Friction: Reconciling Quantum Mechanics & Contact Force

In summary, friction is an almost contact force that relies on the electromagnetic force between atoms.
science.girl
Could someone please explain how science reconciles these statements (both of which I have found in textbooks):

*Friction is known as a "contact force" that relies on contact between surfaces for frictional forces to act.

*In quantum mechanics, surfaces cannot be in "contact" with one another because of interactions of their atomic particles.

I know that friction is derived from the electromagnetic force between two substances, but is it these forces, rather than actual "contact," that allows friction to take effect?

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't study QM yet but I think I've an idea about the answer to the issue.
Despite 2 atoms cannot touch each other according to QM, they can influence each other if they are close enough. So close that in Classical Mechanics we consider that they touch, or even better : that 2 surfaces touch each other (I'm not sure that we consider atoms in Classical Mechanics. But rather a continuous matter).
So in reality friction is not a truly contact force but an almost contact force. At a macroscopic scale it is a contact force while at a very very small scale it isn't.

Thank you for your response! I look forward to exploring this topic further, and appreciate the clarification.

Atoms can 'touch' all they want in QM. But the concept of 'touching' makes no sense at that scale - atoms are not hard spheres. (search and read the multitude of threads on atomic radii)

Now, at very close distances, atoms/molecules repel each other due to the electronic repulsion of their surrounding electrons. That doesn't mean they avoid being close - atoms/molecules attract each other at longer distances (London forces).

Friction usually involves very tiny scraches, breaking of protruding material ( in the range of micrometers ) and exchange of electrostatic charge. All of these tend to the F=ymg formula but actually a complete one would take into account the speed of the two moving surfaces, as friction tends to be smaller at bigger velocities.

Thanks for all of your help!

The notion of "contact force" and "distance force" are really just distinctions introduced in introductory physics. Everything works at a distance when you get down to the microscopic scale. After all, there are only four forces (EM, gravity, weak, strong), and they all operate at a distance.

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and slide against each other, causing resistance to motion.

2. How does friction work?

Friction is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces of objects. When these surfaces come into contact, the irregularities interlock, causing resistance to motion.

3. How is friction related to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the behavior of particles is described by wave functions. When two surfaces come into contact, their wave functions interact, causing the particles on the surface to repel each other, resulting in friction.

4. Can friction be explained using classical mechanics?

No, classical mechanics cannot fully explain friction because it does not take into account the microscopic interactions between surfaces that result in friction. Quantum mechanics is needed to fully understand this phenomenon.

5. How can we reconcile quantum mechanics with contact force?

Scientists are still working on finding a way to reconcile quantum mechanics with contact force. Some theories propose that quantum entanglement may play a role in friction, while others suggest that the behavior of particles on a surface may be influenced by external factors such as temperature and pressure.