A commutative ring with unity and Ideals

• Thread starter emptyboat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring Unity
In summary, a commutative ring with unity is a mathematical structure with a set of elements and two operations (addition and multiplication) that satisfy certain properties. Ideals are subsets of the ring that are closed under addition and multiplication by elements in the ring, and have applications in abstract algebra and other fields. They are different from subrings in that they are only closed under multiplication and are always proper subsets. A commutative ring with unity can have multiple ideals, providing valuable information about the ring's structure.
emptyboat
Let R be a commutative ring with unity. I and J are ideals of R.
Show that If I + J = R, then I∩J=IJ.

I know that IJ⊆(I∩J).
But I can't do inverse.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I solve it!
Thus no answer is required. :)

Related to A commutative ring with unity and Ideals

1. What is a commutative ring with unity?

A commutative ring with unity is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements, a binary operation (usually denoted by addition), and a multiplicative operation (usually denoted by multiplication). The elements in the ring satisfy certain properties such as commutativity, associativity, and distribution. The unity element is an element in the ring that acts as an identity element under multiplication, meaning that when multiplied by any other element in the ring, it yields that same element.

2. What are ideals in a commutative ring with unity?

Ideals are subsets of a commutative ring with unity that possess certain properties. They are similar to subgroups in group theory. An ideal is a subset that is closed under addition and multiplication by elements in the ring, and also contains the additive identity element. Ideals can be used to study the structure and properties of a commutative ring with unity.

3. What is the significance of a commutative ring with unity and ideals?

Commutative rings with unity and ideals are important in abstract algebra and many areas of mathematics. They provide a foundation for concepts such as polynomial rings, fields, and modules. They also have applications in other fields such as physics, computer science, and cryptography. Additionally, the study of these structures can lead to a deeper understanding of more complex algebraic structures.

4. How are ideals different from subrings in a commutative ring with unity?

While both ideals and subrings are subsets of a commutative ring with unity, they possess different properties. Subrings are closed under addition and multiplication, while ideals are only closed under multiplication by elements in the ring. Additionally, subrings contain the unity element, while ideals do not have to. Another difference is that ideals are always proper subsets, meaning they do not contain the entire ring, while subrings can be the entire ring.

5. Can a commutative ring with unity have multiple ideals?

Yes, a commutative ring with unity can have multiple ideals. In fact, every commutative ring with unity has at least two ideals: the zero ideal, which contains only the additive identity element, and the entire ring itself. In some cases, a ring can have infinitely many ideals, such as in the case of the ring of integers. The number and structure of ideals in a commutative ring with unity can provide valuable information about the ring itself.