Show that the set of the upper triangular matrices is a ring

In summary: Thinking)In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a ring and the set $T_n(\mathbb{K})$ with two operations $+$ and $\cdot$ being a ring. The conversation includes a discussion on how to show that $T_n(\mathbb{K})$ is a sub rng and thus a rng. There is also a question about why only the additive identity needs to be checked and not the multiplicative identity, to which it is explained that the definition of a ring does not require a multiplicative identity.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

A set $R$ with two operations $+$ und $\cdot$ is a ring, if the following properties are satisfied:
  1. $(R, +)$ is a commutative/abelian group
  2. Associativity : For all $a,b, c \in R$ it holds that $(a \cdot b)\cdot c = a \cdot (b \cdot c)$.
  3. Distributive property : For all $a,b, c \in R$ it holds that $(a+b)\cdot c=a\cdot c+b\cdot c$ und $a \cdot (b + c)=a\cdot b+a\cdot c$.

Let $\mathbb{K}$ be a field.
We have the set $T_n(\mathbb{K})=\{A\in \mathbb{K}^{n\times n} \mid a_{ij}=0 \text{ für alle } i,j\in \{1, \ldots , n\} \text{ mit } i>j\}$.

I want to show that $T_n(\mathbb{K})$ is a ring with the addition and multiplication of matrices. How can we show the first property? (Wondering)

Let $A,B,C\in T_n(\mathbb{K})$.
To show the other two properties do we have to find the form of the element of the the resulting matrix at the position $ij$ ? (Wondering)
$$[(A \cdot B)\cdot C]_{ij}=( \sum_{k=1}^ma_{ik}b_{kj})c_{ij}$$
To what is this equal? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
How can we show the first property? (Wondering)

Hi mathmari! (Smile)

Don't we already know that regular matrix multiplication over a field is a ring (with multiplicative identity)? (Wondering)
So wouldn't it suffice to show that $T_n(\mathbb K)$ is a sub ring?
If so then we only need to verify if it is closed for addition and multiplication, and if the additive identity is an element.
Let $A,B,C\in T_n(\mathbb{K})$.
To show the other two properties do we have to find the form of the element of the the resulting matrix at the position $ij$ ? (Wondering)
$$[(A \cdot B)\cdot C]_{ij}=( \sum_{k=1}^ma_{ik}b_{kj})c_{ij}$$
To what is this equal? (Wondering)

Shouldn't that be:
$$[(A \cdot B)\cdot C]_{ij}=\sum_{l=1}\left(\sum_{k=1}^ma_{ik}b_{kl}\right)c_{lj}$$
(Wondering)

I like Serena said:
If so then we only need to verify if it is closed for addition and multiplication, and if the additive identity is an element.

Ah ok...

Let $A,B\in T_n(\mathbb{K})$, i.e., $A,B$ are two upper triangular matrices. We have that the addition and the mutiplication of two upper triangular matrices is a triangular matrix, or not? Do we have to prove it? If so how? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Ah ok...

Let $A,B\in T_n(\mathbb{K})$, i.e., $A,B$ are two upper triangular matrices. We have that the addition and the mutiplication of two upper triangular matrices is a triangular matrix, or not? Do we have to prove it? If so how? (Wondering)

For addition it is trivial. We might say something like:

For any $A, B \in T_n(\mathbb{K})$, let $C=A+B$.
$C$ is given by $c_{ij}=a_{ij}+b_{ij}$, which is $0$ for all $i>j$.
Therefore $C \in T_n(\mathbb{K})$ and thus $T_n(\mathbb{K})$ is closed for addition.

We can prove closure for multiplication as follows:

For any $A, B \in T_n(\mathbb{K})$, let $C=AB$.
For $i>j$ it follows that:
$$c_{ij} = \sum_{k=1}^n a_{ik}b_{kj}
=\sum_{k=1}^{i-1} a_{ik}b_{kj} + \sum_{k=i}^n a_{ik}b_{kj}
=\sum_{k=1}^{i-1} 0\cdot b_{kj} + \sum_{k=i}^n a_{ik}\cdot 0 = 0
$$
Therefore $C \in T_n(\mathbb{K})$ and thus $T_n(\mathbb{K})$ is closed for multiplication.

The additive identity is the zero matrix, which is an element of $T_n(\mathbb{K})$.

Thus the proof is complete and $T_n(\mathbb{K})$ is a sub rng of $\mathbb{K}^{n\times n}$, and therefore a rng. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
For addition it is trivial. We might say something like:

For any $A, B \in T_n(\mathbb{K})$, let $C=A+B$.
$C$ is given by $c_{ij}=a_{ij}+b_{ij}$, which is $0$ for all $i>j$.
Therefore $C \in T_n(\mathbb{K})$ and thus $T_n(\mathbb{K})$ is closed for addition.

We can prove closure for multiplication as follows:

For any $A, B \in T_n(\mathbb{K})$, let $C=AB$.
For $i>j$ it follows that:
$$c_{ij} = \sum_{k=1}^n a_{ik}b_{kj}
=\sum_{k=1}^{i-1} a_{ik}b_{kj} + \sum_{k=i}^n a_{ik}b_{kj}
=\sum_{k=1}^{i-1} 0\cdot b_{kj} + \sum_{k=i}^n a_{ik}\cdot 0 = 0
$$
Therefore $C \in T_n(\mathbb{K})$ and thus $T_n(\mathbb{K})$ is closed for multiplication.

I understand! (Happy) (Yes)
I like Serena said:

I like Serena said:
The additive identity is the zero matrix, which is an element of $T_n(\mathbb{K})$.

Why do we have to check only if the additive identity of the matrix ring is an element of $T_n(\mathbb{K})$ and not also the multiplicative identity? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Why do we have to check only if the additive identity of the matrix ring is an element of $T_n(\mathbb{K})$ and not also the multiplicative identity? (Wondering)

Because your ring doesn't have a multiplicative identity! :eek:
Such a ring is also named rng instead to distinguish it.
See wikpedia.

I like Serena said:
Because your ring doesn't have a multiplicative identity! :eek:
Such a ring is also named rng instead to distinguish it.
See wikpedia.

Why doesn't it contain the identity matrix? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Why doesn't it contain the identity matrix? (Wondering)

Oh it contains the identity matrix all right.
It's just that it is not required according to the definition of a ring that you gave. (Smirk)

In general the matrix ring contains the multiplicative identity, the idenity matrix, or not? (Wondering)
But we don't have to show that $T_n(\mathbb{K})$ contains it because the definition of a ring doesn't require it, only the definition of a unit ring, right? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
mathmari said:
In general the matrix ring contains the multiplicative identity, the idenity matrix, or not? (Wondering)
But we don't have to show that $T_n(\mathbb{K})$ contains it because the definition of a ring doesn't require it, only the definition of a unit ring, right? (Wondering)

Yep. (Nod)

Consider for instance $T'_n(\mathbb{K})=\{A\in \mathbb{K}^{n\times n} \mid a_{ij}=0 \text{ für alle } i,j\in \{1, \ldots , n\} \text{ mit } {\color{green} i\ge j}\}$.
I believe it's still a rng, but it doesn't have the identity matrix.

I like Serena said:
Yep. (Nod)

Consider for instance $T'_n(\mathbb{K})=\{A\in \mathbb{K}^{n\times n} \mid a_{ij}=0 \text{ für alle } i,j\in \{1, \ldots , n\} \text{ mit } {\color{green} i\ge j}\}$.
I believe it's still a rng, but it doesn't have the identity matrix.

Ah ok... I see! (Smile) I want to show also that $\phi_k : T_n(\mathbb{K})\rightarrow \mathbb{K}, (a_{ij})\mapsto a_{kk}, \ k\in \{1, \ldots , n\}$ is a ring homomorphim, so we have to show that for elements $(a_{ij}), (b_{ij})\in T_n(\mathbb{K})$ the following holds:
$$\phi ((a+b)_{ij})=\phi (a_{ij})+\phi (b_{ij}) \\ \phi (a\cdot b)_{ij})=\phi (a_{ij})\cdot \phi (b_{ij})$$

We have the following:
$$\phi ((a +b)_{ij})=((a+b)_{kk})=(a_{kk})+(b_{kk})=\phi (a_{ij})+\phi (b_{ij}) \\ \phi ((a\cdot b)_{ij}))=((a\cdot b)_{kk})=(a_{kk})\cdot (b_{kk})=\phi (a_{ij})\cdot \phi (b_{ij})$$

Is this correct? Could I improve something? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
I want to show also that $\phi_k : T_n(\mathbb{K})\rightarrow \mathbb{K}, (a_{ij})\mapsto a_{kk}, \ k\in \{1, \ldots , n\}$ is a ring homomorphim, so we have to show that for elements $(a_{ij}), (b_{ij})\in T_n(\mathbb{K})$ the following holds:
$$\phi ((a+b)_{ij})=\phi (a_{ij})+\phi (b_{ij}) \\ \phi (a\cdot b)_{ij})=\phi (a_{ij})\cdot \phi (b_{ij})$$

We have the following:
$$\phi ((a +b)_{ij})=((a+b)_{kk})=(a_{kk})+(b_{kk})=\phi (a_{ij})+\phi (b_{ij}) \\ \phi ((a\cdot b)_{ij}))=((a\cdot b)_{kk})=(a_{kk})\cdot (b_{kk})=\phi (a_{ij})\cdot \phi (b_{ij})$$

Is this correct? Could I improve something? (Wondering)

I think we need $\phi_k$ everywhere instead of $\phi$.

And generally for matrices $((a\cdot b)_{kk})\ne(a_{kk})\cdot (b_{kk})$.
Instead we have:
$$(a\cdot b)_{kk} = \sum_{l=1}^n a_{kl}b_{lk}$$
(Thinking)

I like Serena said:
I think we need $\phi_k$ everywhere instead of $\phi$.

And generally for matrices $((a\cdot b)_{kk})\ne(a_{kk})\cdot (b_{kk})$.
Instead we have:
$$(a\cdot b)_{kk} = \sum_{l=1}^n a_{kl}b_{lk}$$
(Thinking)

Ah ok...

$$\phi_k ((a +b)_{ij})=(a+b)_{kk}=a_{kk}+b_{kk}=\phi_k (a_{ij})+\phi_k (b_{ij})$$
This property is correct, isn't it? (Wondering)

$$\phi_k ((a\cdot b)_{ij}))=(a\cdot b)_{kk}=\sum_{l=1}^n a_{kl}b_{lk}=\sum_{l=1}^{k-1} a_{kl}b_{lk}+a_{kk}b_{kk}\sum_{l=k+1}^n a_{kl}b_{lk}=\sum_{l=1}^{k-1} 0b_{lk}+a_{kk}b_{kk}+\sum_{l=k}^n a_{kl}0=a_{kk}b_{kk}=\phi_k (a_{ij})\cdot \phi_k (b_{ij})$$

Is this correct now? (Wondering)

There's a plus missing in the middle, next to $a_{kk}b_{kk}$, but other than that it looks fine! (Happy)

I like Serena said:
There's a plus missing in the middle, next to $a_{kk}b_{kk}$, but other than that it looks fine! (Happy)

Oh yes... (Blush)

Thank you very much! (Happy)

1. What is a ring?

A ring is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and two binary operations, usually addition and multiplication. These operations follow certain rules, such as associativity and distributivity, and the set must contain an identity element for each operation. Rings are commonly used in algebra and number theory.

2. What are upper triangular matrices?

An upper triangular matrix is a square matrix where all the elements below the main diagonal (from top left to bottom right) are zero. The elements on or above the main diagonal can be any value, including zero. These matrices are often used in linear algebra and have specific properties that make them useful for certain calculations.

3. How do you show that a set is a ring?

To show that a set is a ring, we need to prove that it satisfies all the properties of a ring. These properties include closure under addition and multiplication, associativity, commutativity, distributivity, and the existence of identity elements. We also need to show that the set is closed under subtraction and that every element has an additive and multiplicative inverse.

4. What are the binary operations in this set of upper triangular matrices?

The binary operations in this set are addition and multiplication. Addition is defined as adding the corresponding elements of two matrices, and multiplication is defined as multiplying the matrices using the standard matrix multiplication rules. Both operations result in an upper triangular matrix.

5. Why is the set of upper triangular matrices a ring?

The set of upper triangular matrices is a ring because it satisfies all the properties of a ring. It is closed under addition and multiplication, has an identity element for both operations, and every element has an additive and multiplicative inverse. Additionally, the set is closed under subtraction and follows the rules of associativity, commutativity, and distributivity for both operations.