Solving Gas Work: Va, Vb, Pa, Pb

• Thread starter perplexabot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Work
In summary: I think I'm doing something wrong. I've been working this out for a while now and I'm not sure what's wrong.In summary, the gas does work - it does 3600 J in this process. However, the equation is incorrect, and the line does not go through the origin.
perplexabot
Gold Member
Hi all. Trying to find work done for a gas... Here is the question:

A quantity of air is taken from state a to state b along a path that is a straight line in the pv-diagram (figure is attached). If Va = 0.07, Vb = .11, Pa = 100,000 , Pb = 140,000. What is the work W done by the gas in this process? Assume that the gas may be treated as ideal.

Ok i know the area under the graph is work. But instead of doing it that way can i use this way?:
W = (integral of) p dV
and since p is changing linearly: p = mV + b where b = 0 and m = (Pb - Pa)/(Vb - Va) = k
so p = k* V

substituting that back into the Work equation i get:
W = (integral of) k * V dV
=> W = k * (integral of ) V dV
=> W = k/2 (Vb2 - Va2)

ok so after all this i end up with 3600 J which is wrong (actual answer is 4800). Can any1 tell me what I'm doing wrong? or why this technique doesn't work?

once again i know u can just find the area of the graph, but i want to know why this way is wrong..
Thanks all.

Attachments

• physQ.jpeg
    physQ.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where has "So p = k.V" come from? It implies that the line goes through the origin, which it doesn't. I think something has gone wrong with your algebra, though this started correctly.

Philip Wood said:
Where has "So p = k.V" come from? It implies that the line goes through the origin, which it doesn't. I think something has gone wrong with your algebra, though this started correctly.

p = k * V where k is just m or the slope ( (Pb - Pa)/(Vb - Va) ).
and if the figure is scaled correctly, if you continue the line, it will pass through the origin.

could it be that i didn't take into account the integrating constant?

Last edited:
I don't think the line does go through the origin. PA/VA doesn't equal PB/VB.

perplexabot said:
could it be that i didn't take into account the integrating constant?

With a definite integral there isn't and "integrating constant" is there? The difference between values at the limits will cancel it out.

Are you sure that the "actual answer" is correct? I can't be bothered to do the substitution sums but your algebra looks fine. If you have put the right numbers into the result of your algebra / integration, then your answer should be right, I think.

I think your way of working out the area is using the 'wrong' trapesium. If you use the one with the p along the base, you get the same answer as your integration method. (i.e. swap your axes)

I must say, I started off thinking Boyle's Law and got totally confused until I re-read the OP!

To reiterate: the linear relationship between P and V cannot be written as P = kV, for the reason I've given. This needs sorting out before proceeding to the integration.

Philip Wood said:
To reiterate: the linear relationship between P and V cannot be written as P = kV, for the reason I've given. This needs sorting out before proceeding to the integration.

hey... alright so your saying p =mV + b where b is NOT equal to zero because the line does NOT pass though the origin...

pa = m*Va + b
pa = 100,000
Va = .07
m = (pb - pa) / (Vb - Va) = (140,000 - 100,000)/(.11 - .07)
= 40,000/.04 = 1 *106

b = pa - m*Va = 100,000 - (106 * .07) = 30,000

so p = kV + b
=> p = 106V + 30,000

using the above equation for p, I subbed it back into the Work equation and solved... I got exactly 4800 (which is the correct answer). So as you said Philip, the line does NOT pass through the origin.. Thanks for your help...

Well done for your persistence! I expect, though, that having satisfied yourself that the integration method works, you'll use the simple 'area of trapezium' method if you meet straight lines again in the p, V context!

sophiecentaur said:
With a definite integral there isn't and "integrating constant" is there? The difference between values at the limits will cancel it out.

Are you sure that the "actual answer" is correct? I can't be bothered to do the substitution sums but your algebra looks fine. If you have put the right numbers into the result of your algebra / integration, then your answer should be right, I think.

I think your way of working out the area is using the 'wrong' trapesium. If you use the one with the p along the base, you get the same answer as your integration method. (i.e. swap your axes)

I must say, I started off thinking Boyle's Law and got totally confused until I re-read the OP!

ok thanks for clearing that out. i didn't know that only indefinite integrals had integrating constants. that actually helps a lot. thanks

Philip Wood said:
Well done for your persistence! I expect, though, that having satisfied yourself that the integration method works, you'll use the simple 'area of trapezium' method if you meet straight lines again in the p, V context!

yes, i will be using the area method from now on. i just wanted to see if i can do it otherwise.. thanks for the help...

Philip Wood said:

I think that you, as I did at first, have missed the point and not read the question fully. You can make p proportional to v if you like over a limited range. Boyle's Law (pv=a constant) only holds for constant temperature. You can ' insist' on any relationship as long as you are prepared to add or take away the appropriate amount of internal energy.
That graph could not ever go to the origin - it wouldn't hold to a straight line without ridiculous / impossible imposed conditions.

perplexabot said:
yes, i will be using the area method from now on. i just wanted to see if i can do it otherwise.. thanks for the help...

Yes but you need to choose the right area;one that integrates p dv and not v dp. In the same way that Work done = distance moved times force and not force change times distance.

I think that who missed the point and who didn't is clear from the sequence of responses.

Related to Solving Gas Work: Va, Vb, Pa, Pb

Q: What is the purpose of solving gas work?

The purpose of solving gas work is to calculate the work done by a gas during a process. This can help in understanding the energy transfer and efficiency of a system.

Q: What are Va and Vb in gas work?

Va and Vb represent the initial and final volumes of the gas, respectively. They are important parameters in calculating the work done by a gas.

Q: How do Pa and Pb affect gas work?

Pa and Pb are the initial and final pressures of the gas, respectively. The difference in pressure is a driving force for the gas to expand or contract, resulting in work being done.

Q: What units are used for gas work?

The SI unit for gas work is joules, but other units such as calories or electron volts can also be used. It is important to ensure that the units for all the parameters (Va, Vb, Pa, Pb) are consistent.

Q: Can gas work be negative?

Yes, gas work can be negative. This occurs when the gas is compressed and work is done on the gas, rather than by the gas. In this case, the work done is considered to be negative.