Magnetic field and its affect on velocity

In summary, the researcher is interested in creating a particle accelerator that can spin particles in a uniform magnetic field at the highest possible speed. This can be achieved by increasing the charge of the particle, increasing the orbital radius, and increasing the magnetic field strength. However, increasing the mass of the particle is not a way to increase the speed, as it would decrease the orbital radius and not affect the kinetic energy.
evox
A researcher is interested in creating a particle accelerator that can spin particles in the uniform magnetic field at the high possible speed. This can be achieved by all of the following EXCEPT

A)increasing magnetic field strength
B) increasing mass of the particle
C) Increasing orbital radius
D)increasing charge of the particle

I understand that the answer is B. But i don't understand why A is not incorrect, since to my knowledge, increasing the strength of a magnetic field does not increase velocity, rather it decreases the orbital radius, since work is not done and therefore there is no change in kinetic energy.

I am assuming that this question is asking for how to increase speed. Since, if it was asking how to increase acceleration, then A would be also correct.
F = qvB = mv2/r
B = mv/qr

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi evox! welcome to pf! :smile:
evox said:
A)increasing magnetic field strength

… i don't understand why A is not incorrect, since to my knowledge, increasing the strength of a magnetic field does not increase velocity, rather it decreases the orbital radius, since work is not done and therefore there is no change in kinetic energy.

you have a design for a particle accelerator, and you are thinking of changing it

A is leaving the radius the same and increasing the field strength …

for the same mass, that will increase the speed:wink:

(C is leaving the field strength the same and increasing the radius)

Related to Magnetic field and its affect on velocity

1. How does a magnetic field affect the velocity of a charged particle?

A magnetic field can cause a charged particle to change its direction of motion, but it does not affect the particle's speed. This is because the magnetic force acts perpendicular to the particle's velocity, causing it to move in a circular path.

2. Can a magnetic field change the speed of a charged particle?

No, a magnetic field does not directly change the speed of a charged particle. However, it can indirectly affect the speed by changing the particle's direction of motion.

3. What is the difference between a uniform and non-uniform magnetic field?

A uniform magnetic field has the same strength and direction at all points, while a non-uniform magnetic field has different strengths and/or directions at different points. A uniform magnetic field will cause a charged particle to move in a circular path, while a non-uniform magnetic field can cause the particle to move in a more complex path.

4. How does the strength of a magnetic field affect the velocity of a charged particle?

The strength of a magnetic field does not directly affect the velocity of a charged particle. However, a stronger magnetic field will exert a greater force on the particle, causing it to curve more sharply and potentially change its direction and velocity.

5. Can a magnetic field affect the velocity of a non-charged particle?

No, a magnetic field only affects charged particles. Non-charged particles, such as neutrons or atoms, are not affected by magnetic fields.