Non-circular motion of a particle in a perpendicular constant magnetic field

So I prefer to use Gaussian and add c whenever I have to, because there you always see it (or its absence) in the formulae, and the formulae are then easy to compare with each other (like the formulae for the B-field of a wire, a solenoid, or a dipole).In summary, we discussed the conditions for a particle to undergo circular motion under the influence of a constant magnetic field B and a force qv*B (* cross). The correct equation for this motion is given by mv''=qv*B, and if one solves this equation using vector notation, it becomes clear that the particle moves in a circular path. The detailed calculation shows that the radius of this circle is given by R=v0
feynman1
There's a constant magnetic field B. If a particle is acted on by a force qv*B (* cross) only, and the initial velocity v0 is normal to B, is the motion certainly a circular one (for any m, q, v0)?
mv''=qv*B
If one solves this equation (vector), it doesn't seem obvious.

Physics news on Phys.org
feynman1 said:
There's a constant magnetic field B. If a particle is acted on by a force qv*B (* cross) only, and the initial velocity v0 is normal to B, is the motion certainly a circular one (for any m, q, v0)?
mv''=qv*B
If one solves this equation (vector), it doesn't seem obvious.
If acceleration has a constant magnitude and is always perpendicular to velocity you get uniform circular motion.

Likes etotheipi and feynman1
The correct equation (in non-relativistic approximation) is
$$m \dot{\vec{v}}=-\frac{q}{c} \vec{B} \times \vec{v}.$$
Since the cross product with constant ##\vec{B}## describes an infinitesimal rotation, it's immediately clear that the particle moves on a circle.

The detailed calculation is as follows: Choose the reference frame such that ##\vec{B}=B \vec{e}_3##. Then the EoM reads in components
$$\dot{v}_1=\frac{q B}{mc} v_2=\omega v_2, \\
\dot{v}_2=-\frac{q B}{mc} B v_1=-\omega v_1, \\
\dot{v}_3=0.$$
This means that
$$v_3(t)=v_{30}=\text{const}.$$
To solve the other two equations, take the time derivative of the first equation and insert the 2nd equation:
$$\ddot{v}_1=-\omega^2 v_1$$
The general solution is
$$v_1(t)=C_1 \cos(\omega t) + C_2 \sin(\omega t).$$
From the 1st equation you get
$$v_2=\frac{1}{\omega} \dot{v}_1=-C_1 \sin(\omega t) + C_2 \cos(\omega t).$$
The initial condition in #1 can be used to orient the coordinate system such that ##\vec{v}_0=v_0 \vec{e}_1##, i.e., ##v_1(0)=v_0##, ##v_2(0)=0##, ##v_3(0)=v_{30}=0##. This gives
$$C_2=0, \quad C_1=v_0,$$
and thus
$$\vec{v}(t)=\begin{pmatrix} v_0 \cos(\omega t) \\ -v_0 \sin(\omega t) \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}.$$
Integrating once more
$$\vec{x}(t)=\vec{x}_0 + \frac{v_0}{\omega} \begin{pmatrix} \sin (\omega t) \\ \cos(\omega t) \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}.$$
This is indeed a circle (the particle running clockwise in the 12-plane if ##q>0## and thus ##\omega>0##). The radius of the circle is
$$R=\frac{v_0}{\omega}=\frac{m c v_0}{q B}.$$

vanhees71 said:
The correct equation (in non-relativistic approximation) is
$$m \dot{\vec{v}}=-\frac{q}{c} \vec{B} \times \vec{v}.$$
Since the cross product with constant ##\vec{B}## describes an infinitesimal rotation, it's immediately clear that the particle moves on a circle.

The detailed calculation is as follows: Choose the reference frame such that ##\vec{B}=B \vec{e}_3##. Then the EoM reads in components
$$\dot{v}_1=\frac{q B}{mc} v_2=\omega v_2, \\
\dot{v}_2=-\frac{q B}{mc} B v_1=-\omega v_1, \\
\dot{v}_3=0.$$
This means that
$$v_3(t)=v_{30}=\text{const}.$$
To solve the other two equations, take the time derivative of the first equation and insert the 2nd equation:
$$\ddot{v}_1=-\omega^2 v_1$$
The general solution is
$$v_1(t)=C_1 \cos(\omega t) + C_2 \sin(\omega t).$$
From the 1st equation you get
$$v_2=\frac{1}{\omega} \dot{v}_1=-C_1 \sin(\omega t) + C_2 \cos(\omega t).$$
The initial condition in #1 can be used to orient the coordinate system such that ##\vec{v}_0=v_0 \vec{e}_1##, i.e., ##v_1(0)=v_0##, ##v_2(0)=0##, ##v_3(0)=v_{30}=0##. This gives
$$C_2=0, \quad C_1=v_0,$$
and thus
$$\vec{v}(t)=\begin{pmatrix} v_0 \cos(\omega t) \\ -v_0 \sin(\omega t) \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}.$$
Integrating once more
$$\vec{x}(t)=\vec{x}_0 + \frac{v_0}{\omega} \begin{pmatrix} \sin (\omega t) \\ \cos(\omega t) \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}.$$
This is indeed a circle (the particle running clockwise in the 12-plane if ##q>0## and thus ##\omega>0##). The radius of the circle is
$$R=\frac{v_0}{\omega}=\frac{m c v_0}{q B}.$$
Sorry I later realized the result was obvious but I was thinking of sth different.
BTW where does the c come from in your governing equation?

feynman1 said:
BTW where does the c come from in your governing equation?
The c appears when using Gaussian (cgs) units. Not when using SI units.

Sorry, I should always say, which units I use. Here I used Heaviside-Lorentz (or Gaussian, because there's no difference in the Lorentz-force formula in both CGS systems) units. It's simply that for it's easier to keep track of the correct dimensions in my equations, using the more natural CGS units than the SI, where I never know by heart, whether I should put some ##\epsilon_0## or ##\mu_0## somewhere ;-)).

1. What is non-circular motion in a perpendicular constant magnetic field?

Non-circular motion refers to the movement of a particle in a magnetic field that is perpendicular to its initial velocity. This results in a curved path rather than a straight line.

2. How does a perpendicular constant magnetic field affect the motion of a particle?

A perpendicular constant magnetic field exerts a force on a charged particle, causing it to experience a centripetal acceleration and follow a curved path. The direction of the force is perpendicular to both the velocity of the particle and the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the shape of the particle's path in a perpendicular constant magnetic field?

The shape of the particle's path is influenced by the strength of the magnetic field, the charge of the particle, and its initial velocity. A stronger magnetic field or a higher charge will result in a tighter curve, while a higher initial velocity will result in a larger radius of curvature.

4. Can a particle's path in a perpendicular constant magnetic field ever be a straight line?

No, a particle's path in a perpendicular constant magnetic field will always be curved due to the force exerted by the magnetic field. The only way for the path to be a straight line is if the particle has no initial velocity, in which case it will not experience any force and will continue in a straight line.

5. How is the direction of the particle's path determined in a perpendicular constant magnetic field?

The direction of the particle's path is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the particle's velocity, the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm indicates the direction of the force on the particle.