Zeeman Splitting: Para & Orthohelium Transitions

In summary, the conversation revolves around identifying the transitions responsible for the first line of the principal, sharp, diffuse, and fundamental series in parahelium and orthohelium. It also discusses the fine structure associated with each line and whether parahelium and orthohelium atoms produce singlet or triplet states. The person asking the question is unsure and acknowledges that they may be missing something important.
hhhmortal

Homework Statement

Hi, I have this question which I need some help on:

(Q) With the aid of an energy level diagram identify the transitions which give rise to the first line of the principal, sharp, diffuse and fundamental series in parahelium and in orthohelium. Also identify the form of the fine structure associated with each line (i.e. are the lines singlets, triplets, sextuplets, etc...?)

Do all parahelium atoms produce singlet states due to the fact that electrons have a spin antiparallel to the ground state electron. And do all orthohelium atoms produce triplet states due to the fact electron have a spin parallel to the ground state electron?

I think I'm wrong in saying that and there is something vital which I'm missing out.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
^Bump

What is Zeeman splitting?

Zeeman splitting is the phenomenon in which the energy levels of an atom or molecule are split into multiple sub-levels due to the presence of a magnetic field.

What is the difference between para and orthohelium transitions?

Para and orthohelium are two different forms of helium, with different nuclear spin states. Para helium has an even number of protons and neutrons, resulting in a total spin of 0. Orthohelium, on the other hand, has an odd number of protons or neutrons, resulting in a total spin of 1. The transitions in Zeeman splitting are different for para and orthohelium due to the different spin states.

How does Zeeman splitting affect spectral lines?

Zeeman splitting causes the spectral lines of an atom or molecule to split into multiple components. The number of components is determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the spin states of the atom or molecule. This splitting can be observed in the form of multiple peaks in a spectral line.

What are the applications of Zeeman splitting?

Zeeman splitting is used in various applications, such as in spectroscopy to study the energy levels of atoms and molecules, in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) imaging to produce high-resolution images, and in atomic clocks to improve their accuracy.

What are the limitations of Zeeman splitting?

Zeeman splitting is only applicable to atoms or molecules with non-zero magnetic moments, and the splitting can be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure. Additionally, the magnetic field required for Zeeman splitting to occur can be difficult to produce and control accurately.