Continuous application of Lense-Thirring precession: flyby anomalies

In summary, the conversation discusses the paper "Earth Flyby Anomalies" which discusses anomalies in the velocity of probes during Earth flybys. The paper has gained attention in the scientific community and could be vindicated or disproven by the upcoming Rosetta probe flyby. The conversation also touches on frame-dragging, Lense-Thirring precession, and the possibility of this effect causing the observed differences in energy. The conversation ends with a humorous mention of a "random" equation that closely matches the desired figure, but with incorrect units and a slight discrepancy in the result.
moving_on
Not sure where to put this, but if it's wrong, sorry...
I just looked at the Nieto, Anderson paper on arXiv:
arXiv:0907.3418 "Earth Flyby Anomalies"

Funnily enough, it's about anomalies in the velocity of probes doing Earth flybys!

This has hit the scientific news (New Scientist this week) as they
have identified a specific amount that each one has been affected by
and a 'random' equation that seems to match the figure.
Today the Rosetta probe flyby could vindicate/trash this figure.

I must admit that I toyed with the equations and it is very easy to
come up with something close to the desired figure using various
methods. What worries me most about the 'random' equation is the
units the result would effectively be in...

I'm not a physicist (high school only!) but I love to read around these
things.
I've recently been reading about frame-dragging and Lense-Thirring
precession.
I was wondering whether the frame-dragging effect could cause the
perceived difference in incoming vs outgoing energy as observed.
Please be gentle...

Physics news on Phys.org
oh I forgot my personal favourite 'random' equation:

differentiate the formula for Lense-Thirring w.r.t to c dt.

i.e.
-2/5 Gmw/sqr(c)R

to get
-1/5 Gmw/cR

Apart from being the wrong sign and god knows what units,
the result is a gnat's whisker from the required one
(depending on how you calculate the radius of the earth!)

I could make up formulas for a living!

The continuous application of Lense-Thirring precession, also known as the frame-dragging effect, is a well-known phenomenon in physics and has been studied extensively in the field of general relativity. It describes the distortion of space and time caused by a rotating massive object, such as the Earth. This effect has been observed and confirmed through various experiments, including the Gravity Probe B mission.

The flyby anomalies, on the other hand, refer to the unexpected changes in the velocity of spacecraft during flybys of Earth or other planets. These anomalies were first observed in the 1990s and have been the subject of much debate and research since then. The paper by Nieto and Anderson on arXiv discusses the possible explanation for these anomalies, which they attribute to the frame-dragging effect.

While it is certainly interesting that the paper has been getting attention in the scientific community and media, it is important to note that it is still a hypothesis and has not been conclusively proven. The Rosetta probe flyby mentioned in the content could provide further evidence for this explanation, but it is always important to approach scientific findings with caution and continue to test and evaluate them.

As for the concern about the units of the "random" equation, it is important to remember that in physics, units can often be converted and manipulated to make sense in different contexts. The important thing is for the equation to accurately describe the phenomenon being observed.

In regards to the frame-dragging effect causing the perceived difference in energy, it is certainly a possibility and has been considered in the study of flyby anomalies. However, there are also other factors at play, such as spacecraft design and gravitational interactions with other objects, that could also contribute to these anomalies.

Overall, it is great that you are interested in reading and learning about these complex concepts. It is always important to keep an open mind and continue to explore and question in the pursuit of scientific understanding.

Related to Continuous application of Lense-Thirring precession: flyby anomalies

1. What is Lense-Thirring precession and how does it relate to flyby anomalies?

Lense-Thirring precession is a phenomenon in which a rotating mass causes the space-time around it to twist. This effect is predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity and can lead to subtle changes in the trajectory of a spacecraft during a flyby. These changes are known as flyby anomalies.

2. How does continuous application of Lense-Thirring precession affect flyby anomalies?

Continuous application of Lense-Thirring precession can lead to a cumulative effect on flyby anomalies. This means that multiple flybys of a rotating mass can result in a larger deviation from the expected trajectory of a spacecraft.

3. What are some potential causes of flyby anomalies other than Lense-Thirring precession?

Other potential causes of flyby anomalies include observational error, gravitational perturbations from other bodies, and unknown physical phenomena. These factors must be carefully considered and ruled out before attributing a flyby anomaly to Lense-Thirring precession.

4. How is the Lense-Thirring precession effect measured in flyby experiments?

The Lense-Thirring precession effect is typically measured by comparing the observed trajectory of a spacecraft during a flyby with the predicted trajectory based on classical Newtonian mechanics. Any deviation from the expected trajectory can then be attributed to the Lense-Thirring precession effect.

5. What are the potential implications of further studying Lense-Thirring precession in flyby anomalies?

Further studying Lense-Thirring precession in flyby anomalies can provide valuable insights into the nature of space-time and the effects of rotating masses on the fabric of the universe. It can also have practical applications in space navigation and improving our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.