Building a Toy Car to Navigate a Course

In summary, the car needs to be able to go in a straight line for 5 meters, then turn around a cone and go back another 5 meters.
anthonyz
Hello, I need to build a toy car, that will perform the following task:
Go in a staight line for 5 meters, then follow a semi-circunference (or just turn 180 degrees, but not a about-turn) and go back another 5meters, the turning is around a cone:

_____________________________________ ---> boundaries

------------>------->-------\

-------------------cone ---> 0 |

----------< -----------<----/

I am supplied with a electrical engine, and 3 1.5V batteries, I am not allowed to use any other power source, however I can use pretty much any mechanical or electical device I desire (no remote controls, the car needs to perform on it's own)

I am aware that this is a very simple task, for engineering, but I am in my 1st year and have pretty much only had mathematical classes (calculus, linear algebra, phisics, computing etc) so I am not familiar with the electrical circuits that may accomplish this task...have been brainstorming mechanical solutions for a while now, but nothing really good has come up..

The problem is that the car needs to have 2 operating "modes" : go straight -- turn...and I need to be able to switch between these modes...

Any suggestions would be very welcome :)

Physics news on Phys.org
1] You could stick a long bar out the right side of the car that hits the cone and do a sharp turn - Batmobile-style. Just an idea for thinking outside the box.

2] You could use a cam to control the steering (see attached).

Attachments

• cam_steering.gif
    cam_steering.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 467
can u send it via pm?i can't see the image...explain more on the 2nd way...seems interesting..

Use the motor to drive the car and use it so that it turns the tires on 2 different sides in such a manner so that at the right time they turn in opposite direction and you can make a 180 degree turn. Think about how a Tank turns...:wink:

1. How do I build a toy car to navigate a course?

To build a toy car that can navigate a course, you will need to gather materials such as a motor, wheels, chassis, and a power source. Once you have all the necessary components, you can assemble the car and program it using a microcontroller or remote control to navigate the course.

2. What is the best material to use for building a toy car?

The best material for building a toy car will depend on your budget and the level of difficulty you want to achieve. Some common materials used for toy car building include wood, plastic, and metal. Each material has its advantages and disadvantages, so it's important to research and choose the one that suits your needs.

3. Can I use a pre-made toy car to navigate a course?

Yes, you can use a pre-made toy car to navigate a course if it has the necessary components and can be programmed to follow a specific path. However, building your own toy car from scratch can be a fun and educational experience.

4. How can I make my toy car navigate the course more accurately?

To make your toy car navigate the course more accurately, you can use sensors such as ultrasonic sensors or infrared sensors to detect obstacles and adjust the car's direction accordingly. You can also fine-tune your programming and make adjustments to the car's mechanics to improve its accuracy.

5. Is it necessary to have coding knowledge to build a toy car to navigate a course?

Having coding knowledge can be helpful in building a toy car to navigate a course, especially if you want to program it to follow a specific path. However, there are many pre-made kits and tutorials available that can guide you through the process without prior coding knowledge.