Singularities in accelerators

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating miniature black holes in particle accelerators and the concept of using them as weapons. The individual is researching for a short story and proposes a structure resembling the Eiffel tower to create a singularity that continues moving at a relativistic speed. The conversation also touches on the effects of firing such a singularity at a planet or spaceship and the theoretical means of deflecting an incoming singularity. The individual expresses frustration with the portrayal of physics in science fiction and the desire to avoid making similar mistakes.
kernelpenguin
I came across a theory that said it's possible to create miniature black holes in particle accelerators. And that these would disappear quickly because they are so small.

I thought for a singularity to form, there would have to be plenty of mass in one place. How do the velocities of the particles overcome this mass requirement? What happens inside the particles when they collide like this?

I'm doing a bit of research for a short story I have planned. (If you're interested, you can catch my latest story here -- it's my home server, so it might be down sometimes. And I'm a compsci student, not a literature student, so it might not be all that good. Plus I'm planning to edit it a bit and then maybe publish it and you should really find an online japanese-english dictionary if you want to get all the japanese wordplays. Comments welcome!)

Anyway... I'm researching the viability of singularity weapons. The way I figure it, if you just bang two particles together at near lightspeed, you get a very short-lived singularity. But taking relativity into account, if the singularity would continue moving at near lightspeed, it would decay much slower from the viewpoint of a distant observer.

So I propose something like this. Imagine a structure... like the Eiffel tower. Four "legs" would be the synced particle accelerators. The four particles all hit the same place at the same time with enough energy to create a singularity. Because of the shape of the path, the singularity does not stop moving, instead it gets momentum from the four particles that created it and then continues moving at a relativistic speed. Enough so that it would live as long as it takes to travel a few lightseconds. Is this viable?

I'm also curious as to what would happen if it were fired at a planet or another spaceship. Would it go through leaving a big hole? Would it stop to consume the thing? How much matter would it need to be fed for it to continue growing? And how long would it take for such a singularity to evaporate?

The thing is, all the physics I've seen in science fiction lately has been... crap. I don't want to make the same mistake myself. There's a difference between suspension of disbelief (wormholes, hyperspace, androids, etc) and simple crap science. Plus I'm just sick and tired of people reversing the polarity of everything whenever they get in a mess.

.edit

Oh and another thing... What would it theorethically take to deflect an incoming singularity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kernelpenguin said:
... like the Eiffel tower.

:surprise: :eek: :mad: :grumpy:
Please don't !

1. What is a singularity in an accelerator?

A singularity in an accelerator is a point in the particle beam where the energy density becomes infinitely large. This can occur due to collisions between particles or due to intense electromagnetic fields. Singularities can also refer to points where the particle beam becomes unstable and deviates from its intended path.

2. How are singularities created in accelerators?

Singularities can be created in accelerators through a variety of methods, such as collisions between particles, focusing of the particle beam by magnets, and the use of intense electromagnetic fields. These methods can cause the energy density to increase and create a singularity in the particle beam.

3. What are the potential dangers of singularities in accelerators?

Singularities in accelerators can pose potential dangers if not properly managed. They can cause damage to the accelerator equipment or result in the loss of valuable particle beams. Additionally, intense electromagnetic fields near singularities can pose radiation hazards to personnel working in the vicinity.

4. How do scientists study singularities in accelerators?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study singularities in accelerators. These include computer simulations, mathematical models, and physical experiments using specialized equipment. By studying singularities, scientists can better understand the behavior of particle beams and improve the design and functionality of accelerators.

5. Can singularities be controlled or avoided in accelerators?

Yes, singularities can be controlled and avoided in accelerators through careful design and operation. Scientists use advanced techniques such as beam focusing and shielding to minimize the formation of singularities. Additionally, regular maintenance and monitoring of accelerators can help detect and address any potential issues with singularities.