What's the point of probability if things go completely against odds?

In summary, probabilities do not guarantee a specific outcome, but rather they give a likelihood or chance of something occurring. This is best seen in situations where there are numerous trials, as the probability becomes more accurate with more trials. However, probabilities should not be applied to individual situations, as they do not predict a specific outcome, but rather a trend or likelihood of an outcome.
TL92
I mean say there was a 99% chance of getting a green apple on the first pick from a hat, picked randomly. But you don't. Doesn't that negate everything?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that's the point of probabilities, no result is guaranteed (unless something has a 100% probability of happening).

TL92 said:
I mean say there was a 99% chance of getting a green apple on the first pick from a hat, picked randomly. But you don't. Doesn't that negate everything?

No, it just means there are 99 apples out of 100 items in there, and you picked the one item that isn't an apple. Next time you do it you definitely going to get an apple

TL92 said:

It just means that if you had an infinite amount of trials, 99% of those trials you would get a green apple, 1% u wouldn't.

If you flipped a coin 10x, maybe 4 of those 10 times you would get a head, if you tried again 10x, maybe 6 of those times you would get a head, but if you did it an infinite amount of times, you would get a head 50% of the time.

As the no. of trials approaches infinity, the % of times where you get an outcome will approach the % chance of that outcome.

You can do this type of experiment with an excel spread sheet.

cronxeh said:
No, it just means there are 99 apples out of 100 items in there, and you picked the one item that isn't an apple. Next time you do it you definitely going to get an apple
How did you fit 99 apples in the hat?

It's a very large hat!

TL92 said:
Probability deals with what happens in the long run. If you repeat this many times you will get very close to 99% of the apples you pick green. Look up the "law of large numbers".

Proability tells me that if I flip a coin 3 times, I will get 1.5 heads :-p

Mentallic said:
I hope your tongue at the end means you posted this in jest, since probability says no such thing.

Mentallic said:

That's rubbish, as "tails never fails" so therefore has a 100% probability of success :-pEDIT: As an interesting point, the probability of a human flipping a coin isn't acutally 50/50. There appears to be a slight favour of an even number of flips, it's something like 50.5/49.5 in favour of the side already up (unless you invert it after it's stopped spinning, then it's the side down). This only matters if you see what side of the the coin is up beforehand.

Last edited:
statdad said:
I hope your tongue at the end means you posted this in jest, since probability says no such thing.
I was hoping I could be given an insightful explanation as to how I end up with the half a head :wink:

xxChrisxx said:
As an interesting point, the probability of a human flipping a coin isn't acutally 50/50. There appears to be a slight favour of an even number of flips, it's something like 50.5/49.5 in favour of the side already up (unless you invert it after it's stopped spinning, then it's the side down). This only matters if you see what side of the the coin is up beforehand.

I'm very sceptical of this. This would have to have been done experimentally, and of course depending on the person that is flipping the coin and how many times he does so, it won't be exactly 50/50.

Mentallic said:
I'm very sceptical of this. This would have to have been done experimentally, and of course depending on the person that is flipping the coin and how many times he does so, it won't be exactly 50/50.

It's not just measured on outcome. The height, rate of spin etc were all recorded, when people got into a rhythm they could get it to flip to heads (we used heads up) knocking on for 80% of the time.

It's not groundbreaking, but it's interesting that it indicated as a 'natural flip' tended to be even for most people, for others it also tended to be odd

Although yeah as you say, it's almost impossible to get enough data for a reliable conclusion. But being bound by the limits of time and boredom, it's the best we could do.

Probabilites are misused all the time in medical practice. "Only 3 in 100 of our Amnio patients wind up getting emergency Cesarians." The implication here is that you probably don't have to worry about it.

But the question needs to be asked: what if you are that 3%?

Probabilties have their place, but they do not and should not be applied to predict individual situations.

TL92 said:

As others have pointed out, no, it doesn't. However, if you repeat this experiment many times and keep not getting a green apple, you might become suspicious that somebody is pulling your leg about the probability being .99 in the first place. This leads to the idea of hypothesis testing. You could set up a hypothesis that p = .99 and test it. If you do enough trials and they all fail to be green, you might wind up rejecting the hypothesis with 95% confidence. And you would probably be correct, unless you are having a bad day. :frown:

Related to What's the point of probability if things go completely against odds?

1. What is the point of studying probability if things can go completely against the odds?

Probability is a branch of mathematics that deals with predicting the likelihood of events based on the available information. It helps us to understand the chances of a particular outcome occurring and make informed decisions. While it may seem counterintuitive, the fact that things can go against the odds is precisely why we need to study probability. It allows us to prepare for unlikely scenarios and make better decisions in uncertain situations.

2. How can probability be useful in real-life situations?

Probability is used in a wide range of real-life applications, such as weather forecasting, risk assessment, and stock market analysis. It helps us make predictions and plan for the future by considering all possible outcomes and their associated probabilities. In essence, probability allows us to make sense of the uncertain world we live in and make informed decisions based on data.

3. Can probability be manipulated or controlled?

No, probability is a mathematical concept and cannot be manipulated or controlled. It is based on the available information and does not guarantee a particular outcome. However, we can use probability to our advantage by making informed decisions and minimizing risk.

4. Is probability just a theoretical concept or does it have practical applications?

While probability may seem like a theoretical concept, it has numerous practical applications in various fields. It helps us understand the likelihood of events and make informed decisions in situations where there is uncertainty or risk involved. In fact, many real-world problems rely on probability to find solutions.

5. How can we calculate probabilities in real-life situations?

There are various methods for calculating probabilities in real-life situations, depending on the available information and the type of problem. These methods include the use of mathematical formulas, statistical analysis, and simulations. With the advancement of technology, we now have access to powerful tools and software that can assist in calculating probabilities accurately and efficiently.