Calculate ways to form a committee of 3 from 8, without division?

In summary, the conversation is about how to calculate the final answer for a 2-person committee without using division. The first question asks for a direct way to calculate 3! without division. The second question suggests using a different method to calculate the answer without division and provides a hint to help solve it. The conversation is also referencing a previous post that discusses the same problem.
12john
Poster has been given a warning about posting links to other websites to generate traffic there (Minor Spam)
I grok, am NOT asking about, the answers below. Rather, how can I calculate the final answer DIRECTLY, without division? I don't know why my Latex isn't rendering here?

Please see: [web link redacted by the Mentors]

Orange underline

1. Unquestionably, $\color{#FFA500}{4 \times 3/2} = 3!$ But how can I construe 3! DIRECTLY WITHOUT DIVISION? What does 3! mean?

Here's my surmisal. Blitzstein's solution hints to this calculation, but he didn't write 3! explicitly. You fix the first person. Then of the 3 people left, you can pick the 2nd person in your 2-person committee in 3 ways. Is this correct?

Red underline

2. Unquestionably, ${\color{red}{\dfrac{8 \times 7 \times 6}{3!}}}$ = 8 × 7. But how can I construe 8 × 7 DIRECTLY WITHOUT DIVISION ? What does 8 × 7 mean?

Here's my surmisal.You can pick the 1st committee member in 8 ways, and the 2nd member in 7 ways. But then can't you pick the 3rd member in 6 ways? By this Constructive Counting (p 38 bottom), the answer ought be 8 × 7 × 6? Why isn't there 6?

Problem 4.1:

(b) In how many ways can a 2-person committee be chosen from a group of 4 people (where the order in which we choose the 2 people doesn't matter)?

t7nrZLrLSsEu2HAspWbrpx4E.jpg

David Patrick, Introduction to Counting & Probability (2005), pp 66-7.

Attachments

• t7nrZLrLSsEu2HAspWbrpx4E.jpg
    t7nrZLrLSsEu2HAspWbrpx4E.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your latex doesn't render because on physicsforums you have to use ## as delimiter for in-line maths rather than the usual latex delimiter $.

The reason your answer of 8 x 7 x 6 =336 is wrong is that that is the answer for picking offices, not a committee, ie where order does matter. For a committee, order doesn't matter so you need to divide 336 by the number of different possible orders for three positions, which is 3 x 2 = 6, giving an answer of 56.
That is explained in detail in the text you posted - see the box marked "Important".

But you are not allowed to divide, so you have to think of a different method. A hint lies in an extension of the second solution approach listed under (b) in Example 1.4.13 that you posted. Start by labelling the people as 1 to 8 and then think of different situations where the committee member with lowest number label is 1, 2, 3 etc.
Here's a further hint:
1 : 6+5+4+3+2+1
2 : 5+4+3+2+1
3 : 4+3+2+1
4 : 3+2+1
5 : 2+1
6 : 1
Note that all the numbers to the right of the colons add to 56.

I think wrapping around $$, i.e., double $'s may help it render.

12john said:
I grok, am NOT asking about, the answers below. Rather, how can I calculate the final answer DIRECTLY, without division? I don't know why my Latex isn't rendering here?

Please see: [web link redacted by the Mentors]

Orange underline

1. Unquestionably, ##{4 \times 3/2} = 3!## But how can I construe 3! DIRECTLY WITHOUT DIVISION? What does 3! mean?

Here's my surmisal. Blitzstein's solution hints to this calculation, but he didn't write 3! explicitly. You fix the first person. Then of the 3 people left, you can pick the 2nd person in your 2-person committee in 3 ways. Is this correct?

Red underline

2. Unquestionably, ##{{\dfrac{8 \times 7 \times 6}{3!}}}## = 8 × 7. But how can I construe 8 × 7 DIRECTLY WITHOUT DIVISION ? What does 8 × 7 mean?

Here's my surmisal.You can pick the 1st committee member in 8 ways, and the 2nd member in 7 ways. But then can't you pick the 3rd member in 6 ways? By this Constructive Counting (p 38 bottom), the answer ought be 8 × 7 × 6? Why isn't there 6?
View attachment 296035

David Patrick, Introduction to Counting & Probability (2005), pp 66-7.
Above, find this thread's Post#1

It is essentially a copy from the "page" pointed to by the link given in Post#1:
[web link redacted by the Mentors]

The only material added by OP is the line regarding LaTeX:
" I don't know why my Latex isn't rendering here? Please see "

By the way, I have fixed the LaTeX in the above replied to text.

@12john ,
What is your question in specific?

You merely posted someone else's question posted of some other math site.
And you have shown Zero work of your own.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How many ways can a committee of 3 be formed from a group of 8 people?

There are 56 ways to form a committee of 3 from a group of 8 people without division.

2. What is the formula for calculating the number of ways to form a committee of 3 from 8 without division?

The formula is nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of people and r is the number of people in the committee. In this case, n = 8 and r = 3, so the calculation would be 8! / (3!(8-3)!) = 56.

3. Can the committee members be chosen in any order?

Yes, the committee members can be chosen in any order as long as there are 3 members in total.

4. What if there are more than 3 positions to fill in the committee?

If there are more than 3 positions to fill, the formula would change to nPr = n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of people and r is the number of positions to fill. For example, if there are 5 positions to fill from a group of 8 people, the calculation would be 8! / (8-5)! = 336 ways to form the committee.

5. Can the same person be on the committee more than once?

No, the same person cannot be on the committee more than once. This is because the committee is composed of 3 distinct members and the order of choosing the members does not matter. In other words, the committee is a combination rather than a permutation.