Extremely High Energy Photons?

In summary, it is believed that there is no limit to the energy of a single photon, though some theories suggest there may be Planck-length wavelength limits. A photon with an energy of ~10GJ, equivalent to tons of TNT, has not been experimentally observed. Creating such a photon would be a significant challenge.
phantom887
I was wondering whether it was possible for an extremely high energy photon to exist, or if there's a limit to the energy in just one photon. And I'm talking REALLY high energy here. Like twice the energy of, say, the gamma rays released in a supernova. If this is possible, what is that photon? Is it just a high energy gamma ray, or could it be something else?

Science news on Phys.org
To my knowledge there isn't a limit, though one could speculate about Planck-length wavelength limits that might arise from quantum gravity, assuming there is such a theory and that someone eventually figures it out. Such a photon would have an energy of ~ 10GJ, which is equivilent to tons of TNT. There is no experimental evidence that such photons actually exist, and creating them would be, ah, a bit of a challenge.

Yes, yes I DO believe that would be an annoying little obstacle to overcome, wouldn't it? Haha thanks for the answer.

phantom887 said:
I was wondering whether it was possible for an extremely high energy photon to exist, or if there's a limit to the energy in just one photon. And I'm talking REALLY high energy here. Like twice the energy of, say, the gamma rays released in a supernova. If this is possible, what is that photon? Is it just a high energy gamma ray, or could it be something else?

I once calculated, to obtain all the enegry (mass to energy) in the universe, we need one
single photon of frequency ~1099 Hz.

No limits to the photon energy that I have heard about, but you may google for related Greisen–Zatsepin–Kuzmin limit.

What are Extremely High Energy Photons?

Extremely High Energy Photons are particles of light with extremely high energy levels. They are typically produced by astronomical phenomena such as supernovae, active galactic nuclei, and gamma-ray bursts.

How are Extremely High Energy Photons detected?

Extremely High Energy Photons are detected using specialized telescopes and detectors, such as the Cherenkov telescopes, which can detect the faint flashes of light produced when these high energy particles interact with the Earth's atmosphere.

What are the potential hazards of Extremely High Energy Photons?

Extremely High Energy Photons can be dangerous to living organisms, as they can cause damage to DNA and other biological molecules. However, these particles are typically absorbed by the Earth's atmosphere before reaching the surface, so the risk to humans is minimal.

What can we learn from studying Extremely High Energy Photons?

Studying Extremely High Energy Photons can provide valuable insights into the most extreme and energetic events in the universe, such as the formation of black holes and the acceleration of particles in high energy environments. It can also help us better understand the fundamental laws of physics.

How are Extremely High Energy Photons related to cosmic rays?

Extremely High Energy Photons are a type of cosmic ray, which is a high energy particle originating from outer space. However, they differ from other cosmic rays in that they are not charged particles, but rather neutral particles of light.